HOD/CM way of spelling with dyslexic child?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: HOD/CM way of spelling with dyslexic child?

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:42 pm

I really do want to encourage you to at least give dictation a try, even if it's just for a year, as it did so much for my ds whose biggest area of struggle always has been spelling. My ds had speech therapy for several years, and he struggled with speaking so much that you can imagine how spelling was also difficult. Anyway, I just have been floored at the results of dictation. He tested at the sixth grade level of spelling on his fourth grade standardized test, and I couldn't believe it! He was so happy and said, "That dictation stuff really works, mom." I just wouldn't want you to go off searching and searching for something else when what you have right in front of you may be the answer. You will know best, but my heart tugged at me here when I was thinking of my ds as I was reading your post, so I wanted to share that.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm

I have a dd with cerebral palsy. She is probably mildly dyslexic as well. I have found the CM techniques to be the very best for her and I have tried about everything out there. I do things a little bit different because I find she needs just a little more repetition. I have her do dictation as listed. I make a list of all the words she has struggled with and ones that have similar spelling rules. I have her copy those words and we make up silly sentences on the chalk board. She will copy those as well. I have her practice them and then we do dictation as sort of a test on those as well. All of this is over many days moving at her pace. I find this works really well for her. My dd has short term memory problems so seeing the same things several ways and doing the same things different ways helps her a lot. Just putting that out there in case you find it works for you as well. :D It's a slow road when they have learning issues with reading and spelling. Sometimes you have to take the little victories as they come and sometimes they surprise you and make bigger leaps. That is hard for me to move at her pace instead of where I wish she was at. But doing the CM ways really helps with that as well. Dictation and copywork have by far been the best for my dd. Hope you find they work well for you as well. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:11 pm

I think I'm really reluctant to try dictation since she has such trouble just getting a word that I spell orally for her written down correctly. I would hate to have her try it only for her to realize dictation as another form of failure at this point. Especially now that she seems to be making some progress in reading. Since we have been so focused on reading, she really hasn't had any formal spelling yet which is why I was going to work through the spelling lists with her first.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 am

crlacey wrote:I think I'm really reluctant to try dictation since she has such trouble just getting a word that I spell orally for her written down correctly. I would hate to have her try it only for her to realize dictation as another form of failure at this point. Especially now that she seems to be making some progress in reading. Since we have been so focused on reading, she really hasn't had any formal spelling yet which is why I was going to work through the spelling lists with her first.
What about perhaps using the dictation as copywork first a few times them dictating it. Maybe using the white board to go over the more challenging words and then doing the dictation. This is something that has helped us. I also want to encourage you to give it a try just because for us it has been the most sucessful thing we have done hands down. Praying you find the best solution for you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:00 am

I think using it as copy work before dictation might help her since it will give her a chance to see the words instead of trying to keep all of the new words in her head. Great idea!
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 am

Does she need help with handwriting? We had to get some handwriting help before we could do any kind of dictation. See if she struggles to write a word from dictation if you dictate each letter. Then you have more than spelling to address.

If this is a problem then I have more suggestions for you.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

crlacey wrote:I think I'm really reluctant to try dictation since she has such trouble just getting a word that I spell orally for her written down correctly.
Oh duh, maybe if I pay attention!

Emily had trouble with this too. I had to have her do a handwriting program (Zaner-Bloser) a year behind and I also supplemented with things that help dyslexia and dysgraphia. Writing letters and numbers in the air and/or really big so that they are using their whole arm in the process really helps. We did this and we also wrote in the salt tray. Another way is to use a plastic screen behind your paper and trace the large (size of the paper) letter with your finger. You get that tactile input from the screen. I had Emily practice writing letters and numbers in these ways as we went through flash cards. Orton-Gillingham programs have your child do this writing when you are dictating the sounds of phonograms. It really really helped. Much more than any amount of copywork.

(Link removed per board rules) and "Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties" both have suggestions like this. You might look at them. One thing we are doing now is dot mapping. You can find it on the website.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Crystal,

Dictation done the CM way focuses on having the child study the passage (and words) and fix it in their mind. This is an important step and works much differently than orally spelling a word letter-by-letter for a child to write down. Before trying the non-HOD related suggestions given in this thread, I'd encourage you try HOD's method of spelling for a year to see the progress your child makes.

In my 20+ years of teaching, I had the privilege to work with many various kiddos who had dyslexia, and a myriad of other processing issues. I also had the chance to use the Orton-Gillingham method, which requires fairly extensive training to be used properly. In all instances, we discovered that there is more than one way to help and teach different types of kiddos. However, as far as this board goes, we strive to discuss how to use those products that relate to HOD.:D

In relation to HOD, I would encourage you to try the method we use for spelling! I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks Carrie. I know you try to keep things on topic here and I can appreciate that. It's also nice to hear that this way of teaching spelling should work for my DD.
Crystal
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC