Thornton Burgess Books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Betameculia

Thornton Burgess Books

Post by Betameculia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 am

We have sort of started Little Hearts. I mean sort of because we're doing a bit of a conglomeration of things. Anyway, to get to my point, we're absolutely loving the Thornton Burgess books, so much so, that we are all quite carried away with them. My nearly seven year old son begs for more and revels in the stories and characters. Burgess' discussion of the characters' different foibles has really helped him understand himself and others. We have had such interesting little conversations as a result: conscience, fear, trust... Needless to say we are ahead of schedule here and I've had to order more Burgess books! I can see they are treasures my boys are going to return to time and time again.

Good literature is such nourishment for the soul and the Burgess books will stand my boys in good stead for a deep appreciation of the great classics to come.

Thank you!

Annette

holyhart

Re: Thornton Burgess Books

Post by holyhart » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 am

We loved all the Thornton Burgess books and have started collecting others from him as well. They are really quite good. Last summer we even got to go and visit the Thornton Burgess muesuem since we are fortunate enough to live not too far away.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 am

We really enjoyed reading through those books last year, too. Even my dd listened in most days. Just last week I had gotten my kids in the car and was coming back from locking the house door when my dd called out, "Look, Mommy, there's Chatterer right behind you!" Sure enough, the backyard squirrel that was named last year after reading the book, was right there on the ground behind me. :D
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:37 pm

I found a removable sticker book on Amazon that had all the characters in it; my girls loved to play with it! I I paid about $3 for it but I see it is $48 now! :shock: http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Cottontail- ... 958&sr=8-2

I also found Adventures of Mrs. Quack used at a homeschool convention. We haven't read it yet.
Misty
Mommy to 6!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 am

Love them here too!!! :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 am

Dover publishing also has a coloring book of all the Thornton Burgess characters. It is currently on sale here for $1.48 plus s/h http://store.doverpublications.com/0486459985.html .

I saw the sticker book on Amazon used but in "very good" condition (following the same link listed by MistyP) for a little over $3 plus $3.99 s/h if anyone is interested. Ebay would be a great place to look for that as well if someone is interested in buying one. And I don't know if they are still there, (but most likely they are), I've seen audio books of some of the different books.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10