Beyond Storytime Books w/Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pamh

Beyond Storytime Books w/Bigger?

Post by pamh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I have the storytime books for Beyond that I never ended up using. Could I use them for the Bigger storytime, instead of buying the books that go with Bigger? I'm just trying to save money. Last year I ended up buying 2 curriculums and I never want to make that mistake again....very, very costly!

My son is 7 1/2 and already completed one year of cursive with Abeka. My son did well with cursive but still needs practice and review of a few letters. Do I still need to purchase Cheerful Cursive?

I appreciate all of your help!

Pam

pamh

Re: Beyond Storytime Books w/Bigger?

Post by pamh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Just bumping to try and get it answered!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Pam,

I haven't done Beyond yet with my kids...but I think you'd be fine to use the storytime books you already have with Bigger. You need one book to read for 20 days for each genre. I think the only difference would be that the Beyond books are not quite as long and probably don't require quite as high of a listening level. We used The Apple and the Arrow which is a folk tale listed in Beyond's pack since we had already read the one in our Bigger pack. We loved it! Anyway, if you look at one of the books you already have and feel that it's too short and want one that's reccommended in Bigger, you could just flip to the appendix and try to find one of the 4 suggestions at the library. :D

If you think your son needs a little more instruction in cursive letter formation, I'd definitely do Cheerful Cursive. It was a hit here! (And my oldest is NOT a big fan of writing. :wink: )

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:31 pm

I think it would work perfectly! Both guides use the same genres so I think you'd be just fine.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG