Kids need more practice in Language Arts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hugsathome

Kids need more practice in Language Arts

Post by hugsathome » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello All,

I wanted to hear your opinions on what I should add this year.

CC for 6th grader
Bigger for 3rd grade
LHFHG for Kindergarten
Baby creating mess :wink:

Now, my problem is that the 6th and 3rd grader needs extra practice in Language Arts and Math. I've also got a baby at home...so, my time is limited.

A few ideas I dreamed up...
1. Should I do CC and Bigger at half speed and then add Time4Learning for extra math and LA?
2. Should I do CC and Bigger full speed and add additional work? This seems a bit much to me! :shock:
2. Should I do CC and Bigger at half speed and then spend more time with the HOD Math and Rod and Staff books that come with each curriculum? That's what we were doing..except for the fact that we did the core at full speed.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense. Please feel free to offer ANY suggestions.

THANKS

deltagal

Re: Kids need more practice in Language Arts

Post by deltagal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

hugsathome wrote: 2. Should I do CC and Bigger at half speed and then spend more time with the HOD Math and Rod and Staff books that come with each curriculum? That's what we were doing..except for the fact that we did the core at full speed.
I personally don't think you can go wrong focusing on LA and Math, cause they are CORE. I've included a link to a pp regarding a similar question. Perhaps, it might be of help.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5431#p40225
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

my3sons

Re: Kids need more practice in Language Arts

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm

LA and math are important, and I think if dc need time to up their skills in these areas, going half-speed with the core part of HOD while doing full-speed LA and math is an excellent way to go about it until their LA/math catches up to the core work. :) Deltagal already gave a good link that should help as you consider what to do. :D If you would like more input about specific areas in LA and math, I'd like to hear what your dc have done and what areas in particular on which they need to focus. If the half-speed linked post helps out enough though, then hooray! :D If you need to fine tune things more, any details you could share would help us hopefully give better advice. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie