How to structure the day?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mae357

How to structure the day?

Post by mae357 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I have my 6 year that will be starting Beyond this fall and my 4 and 3 year old starting LHTH. I'm wondering what people have found that works. Last year we did LHFHG and just sat down and did it in one block of time. This year, Beyond looks to be more intense so I'm wondering if you set aside time and just do all the blocks or do you assign certain times to certain subjects. Also, I'm starting LHTH and I'm not sure if I can do them at the same time. I also have a 1 year old and a baby due in Sept. We're hoping to start Aug. 9th to get a few weeks in before baby #5!

thanks!

Samuel'sMommy

Re: How to structure the day?

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

I only have one so my schedule probably won't help you out to much. We're doing LHFHG and we just have a certain order we do the boxes in that works for us. It basically just took a lot of trial and error. But, there was a huge scheduling thread last year where everyone had schedules listed for all different guide and numbers of kids. It was a huge help. Here's the link. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 pm

We are using Beyond this year :) What we generally do is Bible first then Math and are Phonics/reading/grammar/spelling. I have two students, so one plays educational games while I work with the other than we rotate. After that I give the kids a break while I make them lunch. I have them eat while I do the storytime, history, and Poetry. We save the Science/Geo/Art/History activity box for last because it is their favorite. Anything else I add in like Draw Write now we after Beyond.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

christyg

Post by christyg » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 am

Hi! We are starting Beyond and Little Hands next week! :D

Here is my plan:
First 1/2 Beyond with daughter (son playtime in his room)
All of Little Hands with son (daughter gets computer time-30 min)
Last 1/2 of Beyond with daughter (son gets computer time-30 min)

Lunch

Hope this helps! :D

Christy :D

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:05 pm

We've been doing LHTH and Beyond. We do LHTH all together to start our day. Then we do math and phonics from Beyond while the younger two color, do puzzles, etc. Then we do the left side of Beyond all together. We then do copywork and end with storytime. It takes us about 2 hours total.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am

Well, you are wise to think about before the arrival of precious baby, as that is always a busier time. :D But, I want to encourage you that doing Beyond and LHTH won't be so difficult to do, even with a baby and toddler on hand (do try to get some needed rest though :wink: ). We did CTC, Beyond, and LHTH last year, so in case something may be helpful here, I linked my schedule:

LHTH takes only 20-30 minutes, so that won't be hard to do. For Beyond, here is a link with the approximate times it takes to do each box, so you can use these as guidelines for planning out your day:
Beyond, time it takes:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4390&p=32417

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am

Hi.I am doing LHTH with my 3yr old and BLHFHG with my 7 year old.
How much structure would really depend on your child and your family.Because my 7 yr old has an ASD[ aspergers ] - our days tend to be quite structured.Currently our day looks like this-its quite relaxed
7am Get up-I shower .8am breakfast.8.30 am daddy leaves for work.I start on motivated moms[its a chore chart ]
9AM Chores-The boys make their beds,water their plants in the garden,feed the animals,put away their clothes.I continue MM
Between 9-10 am we start school.I start with getting out the circle turtle blanket.I start singing "Its circle time".The boys-especially Stanley come running most days.I do LHTH with them both.The older one mostly shows the younger what to do.Mostly the older enjoys joining in and its a good transition into school work.LHTH takes about 30 minutes most days.Sometimes we stretch an activiy out .I then sing "Circle time is over. :oops: The younger then is free to play independantly.I ty and have a few activites set out.[playdoh,tap-a-shape,stampers....]in the kitchen
Then between 9.30-10.30 we start BLHFHG.
I open the guide and DS can see all the boxes.I have tiny little post it notes that we stick on each completed box.DS then gets to pick which box we work on next.He has his own routine which is pretty consistant-but Im not concerned about the order-as much as we get it done.BLHFHG has some active parts worked in-often the bible study includes hopping or jumping jacks-usually we do the bible study half way through.We keep going until we are done.Some subjects-like Math-he can work independantly on for a few minutes-once he has been set upo-so that I can go and offer the younger some fresh inspiration on what to do.Some activities[art,science etc ]the younger can join in with a little more help.
Then its lunchtime
After lunch is my time to read the bible.The boys play .
There is never any screen time before 15.01 .

HTH
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:13 am

Sam - great post! Many moms have similar things to consider as they plan their day, and your plan really shows how it is important to consider each child's needs as we set up our routine. Could I ask you to copy your post and also post it on the "Let's Share Our Schedule's" thread too? I think it would be super helpful to other moms and would love it if it was on that thread as well. :D Here's that link if you get the chance to post it there too:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie