How do you celebrate the first day of school?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Re: How do you celebrate the first day of school?

Post by John'smom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm

We show them all their new books, take photos, as well as eat breakfast at Panera.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 am

I love the scavenger hunt idea! We start Monday, so thanks for getting the creative juices flowing!;)

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Shimmer

Post by Shimmer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 pm

I was going to decorate T-shirts for Little Hearts, but then I saw this cute red T-shirt at Walmart with hearts on it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory-G ... s/14238913 At the store you can get it by itself for $3.50. The girls all wanted that one instead. Works for me!

I gave the girls a choice between baking/decorating cupcakes or going to get a treat from the bakery and they wanted to do the cupcakes. Thanks for that idea. I think they are going to have fun opening up their new school supplies. I ordered our books today and just can't wait for them to show up. I'm so excited to get started!

A friend of mine is starting homeschooling this year and pulling her girls out of public school. I bet she'll love the "we're not going back to school" party when public school starts.
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

pamh

Post by pamh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 pm

We've never celebrated but my friends do. The night before the 1st day, they throw a big dinner party, which the grandparents and any other family are invited to. They make a big cake and the grandparents usually supply lots of fun balloons and a few gifts. They repeat this celebration on the last day as well!

This is a fun topic with so many great ideas!!

girlboygirlboy

Post by girlboygirlboy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 pm

We always take a picture of each one of them on the first day of school and have a special breakfast. Because each of my kids have always(even before HOD) had their own binder(the white kind where you can put papers in the front and back), they always make a special picture for their binder for the year. They also have to draw a self-portrait. It's been fun to see how their drawings have changed over the years. I also usually find a "getting to know you" sheet from somewhere online(enchanted learning?) where they write about their favorite things to do, to eat, to watch, to play, favorite colors, favorite animals, etc. That always goes in the front page of their binder.

Lastly, I go over some goals that I have for them for the year(talked about w/dh) and they make some goals of their own(usually things they want to learn like how to make cookies, a lesson they want to take, etc). We offer them as a prayer to God and ask Him to bless our school year.

We generally start off very light w/just the 3R's and maybe a read aloud for the first week and then ease into going full blast in the second.

Blessings!

Jennifer
mom to girl10(cs this year), boy9(Bigger), girl7(Bigger) and boy4.5(pre-k)
Jennifer
mom to girl11(cs), boy10(Bigger), girl8(Bigger), boy5(LHFHG)
http://www.chroniclesofgrace.wordpress.com

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:16 pm

girlboygirlboy wrote:We always take a picture of each one of them on the first day of school and have a special breakfast. Because each of my kids have always(even before HOD) had their own binder(the white kind where you can put papers in the front and back), they always make a special picture for their binder for the year. They also have to draw a self-portrait. It's been fun to see how their drawings have changed over the years. I also usually find a "getting to know you" sheet from somewhere online(enchanted learning?) where they write about their favorite things to do, to eat, to watch, to play, favorite colors, favorite animals, etc. That always goes in the front page of their binder.

Lastly, I go over some goals that I have for them for the year(talked about w/dh) and they make some goals of their own(usually things they want to learn like how to make cookies, a lesson they want to take, etc). We offer them as a prayer to God and ask Him to bless our school year.

We generally start off very light w/just the 3R's and maybe a read aloud for the first week and then ease into going full blast in the second.

Blessings!

Jennifer
mom to girl10(cs this year), boy9(Bigger), girl7(Bigger) and boy4.5(pre-k)
I do the same thing with my kids. We take a picture and have a list of their favorite things. We've not done anything beyond that, though. Last year we had a mini-celebration on the 100th day of school. I'm not sure what we'll do on the last day of school this year. Last year we never finished our curriculum (MFWK). :lol: