Dictation success!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Dictation success!

Post by deltagal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 am

Hi all,

I simply wanted to post for those that are unsure that we just did our end of the year testing yesterday and my 2 oldest boys made major leaps in their spelling scores (at last)! The oldest boy advanced three grade levels and the second oldest advanced two grade levels. They are both finally on grade level with their spelling scores. Last year they showed improvement (we had been using dictation for about 3 months), but this year they really advanced. Carrie had said dictation was a "slow burn" that it would take a year to see results. We did! Thanks HOD.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

GinainMD

Re: Dictation success!

Post by GinainMD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 am

Florence, That is so exciting! I'm hoping for the same effect on my dc this year with Beyond. Sometimes it is so hard to stick with something when you don't see results quickly so great job to you and your dc. Blessings!
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:53 pm

What a blessing for you and your dc! Congrats!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:37 pm

That is so wonderful! Glad to hear it. It's hard to see sometimes the progress as you go but it is great to see the end results! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

angela&4boys

Post by angela&4boys » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Wow, that's a wonderful testimony! Thank you for taking the time to share. :D
~Angela~
wife to Greg
Mama to Alex, Aaron, Ben, & Noah
2012-13 Rev to Rev

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah! Great encouragement for you and those of us with younger kiddos to stick with it! Thanks so much for sharing!
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:43 am

We used the dictation in Preparing...last year from January until about April.....kids tested at the end of April. Even though we had only been using it for a few months my dd's spelling score jumped ahead 1.3 years. I was very impressed! Right now we are working on improving her spelling with the words she misses in her everyday writing. She is actually going to be using something different for her schooling (youngest ds is still doing HOD), but I am thinking I may want to try to find something I can use for dictation because it seemed to help her so much. It really works! So glad you had such great success, as well. :wink:

pamh

Post by pamh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:26 pm

This is awesome to hear! I was beginning to get nervous because I used Abeka in the past and their spelling seems to be a lot more difficult. So I thought I'd be cheating my son if the curriculum was too easy. I love reading these successes!

Pam

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 am

That's wonderful to hear, Florence! :D This gives encouragement to have faith in CM's methods and give dictation a fair shake. :D We have had the same results in our home.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie