Question about Historical Readers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michelle My Bell

Question about Historical Readers

Post by Michelle My Bell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi Carrie,

My daughter has loved CTC and we are excited to do RTR this upcoming school year. After looking at the samples I see you have some DITHOR type activities scheduled with the readers, the first being Forbidden Gates. That looks excellent, but I have a problem. We don't do the readers. My daughter enjoys reading the history and listening to the Diana WAring CD's, but she and I like to expose her to good literature such as The Secret Garden and The Witch of Blackbird Pond etc... I don't want to tie her fictional reading into the History because she needs a break from the same topic and asking her to read another book (for a seperate literature study) in addition to all of her other studies would be too much. We did it this way this past year and really enjoyed it. THAT said, I like the activities listed with the readers and was wondering if we could use ANY book with the activities or if they are book specific?

Thanks!
Michelle

Michelle My Bell

Re: Question about Historical Readers

Post by Michelle My Bell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 pm

bump

4froggies

Re: Question about Historical Readers

Post by 4froggies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:51 am

Michelle, I'm not Carrie :) but my understanding is that the historical books from Storytime box are meant to be read-alouds, not readers. The student would then be reading books you select to do DITHOR (such as the Secret Garden, etc.) HTH!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!