Question on Phonics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

Question on Phonics

Post by daybreaking » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 pm

As I'm tweaking our plans for next year, I have a question regarding the "Reading Choices" box of Beyond. We've already started the ERS, so we plan on continuing with that. The question I have is in regards to phonics. I've always heard that one shouldn't stop phonics mid-stream just because a child is reading well, because it will cause the child difficulty once he hits fourth grade. We've been using R&S for our phonics program and it has worked extremely well for DS - based on a few on-line reading tests, ds is decoding at a 4th grade level. The problem is that R&S's phonics is a two-year program, thus ds has one more year to go. I don't want ds to miss out on important skills, but on the other hand, the Beyond guide says to chose "one" of the options listed and I'd be doing two. Is it best to have a little bit longer day (R&S phonics takes 15-30 minutes for the lesson & two workbook pages.) or am I trying to do too much? For those unfamiliar with R&S phonics, last year in grade 1 we covered digraphs, diphthongs, double consonant endings, silent letters (kn, wr, gn, etc.), sh = ti, ci or si, the sound of tion, zh = s, prefixes, suffixes, etc. It looks like grade 2 reviews and expands on grade 1, while also working on homonyms, syllabication, phonograms and spelling rules.

I've been leaning towards doing both the phonics workbook and the ERS, with the goal of being done with the phonics before beginnning DITHR, but I'd like opinions from experienced folks. :) Thanks!

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

my3sons

Re: Question on Phonics

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 am

I think it might be wearing on ds to do both every day. I do think finishing out a phonics program is a good idea. Could you alternate days between R & S Phonics and the ERS? That would seem to be the best of both worlds. Whenever you finish them, you can have ds start DITHOR 2/3, whether it's in the beginning, middle, or end of a year - you can start DITHOR at any point. It's very flexible! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie