placement / cursive issues

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

placement / cursive issues

Post by LivinNandByHim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Originally looking into HOD fell in love with Preparing for my 9 yo. Then read about Bigger and how good it is and thought for my ds that this may be a lighter and better fit seeing how he is nearly ADD (in my opinion) and a little behind socially / maturity wise. Have considered holding him back in PS and repeating 3rd. I am torn between what he is CAPABLE (more than he lets on) of doing and what EFFORT he elects to put into things. His grades were good. He reads well with decent comprehension. He did Saxon in PS last year. And math is his least favorite, grades were ok, but he is still a little slow with simple math, multip., and less with division, etc. His spelling is not good and he always forgets his punctuation / capitalization when writing sentences. I am torn between maybe being too light for his capabilities and not nudging him enough, and giving him a year to "catch up" so to speak. I love the materials in Preparing, but I'm sure that Bigger will be a very rich program. Any certain criteria / suggestions anyone could make to add to the placement chart??? specifics?? Thought I had already made this decision, but now I'm back to weighing things out again.

Also, if we did go with Preparing, how could I get the schedule for Cheerful Cursive from Bigger?? He will need this program regardless, and I love how it is presented. He did NOT like the intro to cursive he got in PS.

Other question, what is return policy if I wanted to buy Guides to look over to help make a decision?? I know the 7 day spread gives an idea, but .... I guess I'm just more hands on, and I did not get the time I wanted at the NC convention to really pore over them. (drove and paid entrance from TN residence to NC convention just to check out HOD, well, primarily) but personal scheduling demands limited my time. Did have a lovely discussion with Carrie, and she had the wonderful sweetness to make me feel like I was "the only one there!!" Thank you , Carrie!!

Have a dd 5 (6 in Oct.) will use LHFHG for sure if we are able to HS. Just waiting at the Red Sea it seems to see which way the wind will blow!!!! lol I know that no matter what, the Lord WILL supply provision - His way, His time! Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Kathleen

Re: placement / cursive issues

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 pm

I only have a minute here... But, I want to let you know I'm praying for clarity for you right now as I'm reading through this. Does he place between Bigger and Preparing on the placement chart? I think if I were you, and it seemed like he was between the 2, I'd go with the lower one. The HOD programs are really rich - and there will be plenty there to stimulate his brain! I've done both of these programs...and they're wonderful! When we were starting HOD, we began with Bigger. In a few areas, I thought my son placed in Preparing, but I am SOOO glad we started with Bigger. :D Will this be your 1st time homeschooling? Is your son more used to textbook style learning?

When we started Bigger, it was our 2nd year homeschooling, and we were coming from textbook style. If that's kind of where you are, I would definitely start with Bigger for several reasons. It did a great job of leading us to understand a more CM (Charlotte Mason) approach. Grant had plenty of opportunities to learn to narrate orally (which helped him a lot when we began the written narrations in Preparing). There is a lot more thought that goes into the follow-up activities of a CM education than a multiple choice/fill in the blank worksheet! We also found the amount of writing in Bigger to be plenty challenging.

So, I guess my advice would be to take a look at the placement chart again. If it seems that he places right in between, I'd personally go with Bigger. If he places solidly in Preparing, I wouldn't hesitate to start there.

If you did find that he's really ready for Preparing, you'd just want to do a page per day of the Cheerful Cursive. That would be easy to add on.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Kathleen has given you tremendous advice, so I'll just pop-in to agree! :D With what you've shared about your son, along with the thinking that you may have had him repeat third grade, plus the fact that he is transitioning from school to home, leads me to lean heavily in the Bigger Hearts direction. :D There are so many foundational skills in Bigger Hearts that really help the kiddos as they move into Preparing Hearts. So, if your child seems to be between the two levels, and doesn't place squarely in Preparing, I'd really encourage you to lean toward Bigger Hearts. It will give you time to make sure to teach the needed skills, help your son feel successful, and set him up to succeed in the guides that come after it. Whenever you bring a child home from a classroom school setting, honestly it is a searching year to figure out what they know and what they need. It also is tremendously important for them to feel successful. That is the number one goal in the first transitional year. Bigger will really help you do that. :D

If needed you could easily up the grammar to level 3, and you'll have the Cheerful Cursive schedule in the guide for you. :D Feel free to pop back and share your thoughts as time allows.

Blessings,
Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 am

Thank you ladies for your replies. Bigger would definitely fit him better as introduction to this new way of doing school. Would start him in level 2 math. Probably extensions in the reading. I am pretty well settled, except I'm uncertain about the R&S. 2 or 3. Any specific points / skills in this area which would help me decide??

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 pm

LivinNandByHim wrote:Thank you ladies for your replies. Bigger would definitely fit him better as introduction to this new way of doing school. Would start him in level 2 math. Probably extensions in the reading. I am pretty well settled, except I'm uncertain about the R&S. 2 or 3. Any specific points / skills in this area which would help me decide??
I think you would be find to go ahead and place your 9 yo son in R and Staff 3. Especially, since you can do most of it orally and using the white board. Rod and Staff 2 is great, but very simple and I think level 3 would be on track for him. You can always slow it down if you need to. I have a 9 yo in Bigger and we've been using RS 2, but I'm preparing to move him on into 3, just to provide a little more challenge and grade level appropriateness. It can easily be lightened, if it needs to be.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 pm

I agree with what's been said here already. :D I do think Bigger Hearts would be great! You may want to wait on the extensions and see how just the core program goes, as he's 9 yo and right on the bubble for extensions. With him coming home from ps, it just is so wonderful if he feels confident about his work - like he's successful in homeschooling, and happy and proud of his work. :D You can always extend later or next year. :wink: I agree that R & S English 3 should be fine, and using the whiteboard for a good portion of it is a wonderful way to teach it. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:55 am

ok. finally at peace. decided what i want for my 2 dc. have a plan also for niece and nephew. If this is truly the Lord's direction, then he will provide, supply, and make the way. in a way, I am so excited, but i also know that my thoughts are not his thoughts, and his vision far outreaches my own. i'm ready either way to trust him, and i will have a testimony to share with you all soon. God bless AND THANK YOU!