Praise for Rod & Staff English

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gotpeace91

Praise for Rod & Staff English

Post by gotpeace91 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 pm

We did R&S English last year and we took the month of June off. We are going half speed this month to get back into things. We did our first lesson in our new R&S books today. All of the writing question were review on what was learned last year. I'm so excited that both my son and daughter retained what they had learned. There is so much review in R&S that it really gets it into their heads! It was such a good feeling when they answered those questions correctly! Yay! :D
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

inHistiming

Re: Praise for Rod & Staff English

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:33 am

We love R&S too! So glad it went well for you. Sounds like you're in for another successful year!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:00 pm

That's good to hear! :D We have found the same to be true. R & S English is written so well - we really like doing English this way. :D I hope you enjoyed your time off, and I'm glad you are off to a nice start again! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 pm

We LOVE Rod & Staff also! I love how it builds on itself and makes sure the student has a thorough foundation in the basics of grammar before writing. This momma with an English degree has been pleasantly surprised! :D So glad you are enjoying it too!
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Leah,

I am so glad that you found your kiddos had strong retention with Rod and Staff English. We have found the same to be true with our kiddos. :D Rod and Staff has truly been a breath of fresh air in the area of grammar instruction for me as well. I was so sure for years that I didn't want to do such a "formal" type program, yet we have been blessedly surprised with the lessons and the results in Rod and Staff. Plus, the text is so God-honoring that we are doubly blessed by its style of writing. We find Rod and Staff's English to be a wonderful way to honor the Lord in the study of the written and spoken word. The further we go, the more impressed we are with the program. We have been through levels 2-6 now, and are truly reaping the blessings. Thanks for sharing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Carrie wrote:...Plus, the text is so God-honoring that we are doubly blessed by its style of writing. We find Rod and Staff's English to be a wonderful way to honor the Lord in the study of the written and spoken word...
Oh yes, I agree, Carrie! This is another thing I love about R&S English! :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

pamh

Post by pamh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:12 pm

I've been so curious about this english program. After reading Julie and Carries response, I have no idea what you mean when you say that you like doing english this way and it's better than a formal english program. The only way I've seen grammar taught is at my local public school. The teacher would give a definition of a noun, verb, etc., then write a sentence on the board and underline the noun, verb, etc.. After that we'd write many sentences and underline the verb, noun, etc.. Can anyone offer any comparisons on how R & S enlish (or just clue me in on how they teach) and what a formal english program is and how they teach???? I'm feeling clueles.

Thanks,
Pam

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

Pam,
This has been our first using R & S. It has been a refreshing way to teach and learn grammar. The amount of time teaching grammar has been reduced to just maybe 15 min a lesson with majority of the lesson done orally with the white board. Gone is the tedious and repetive worksheets!

I would suggest going to a web site that has example pages from the student book and teachers manual to examine further. I found that to be very helpful in my final decision to use R & S.
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!