Getting DH on the same page...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sw1ssm1ss

Re: Getting DH on the same page...

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Julie,
The part about the paper on the fridge with the star and the comments making a difference really brought a smile to my face! :mrgreen: It's amazing, isn't it, how something small like that can make a nebulous idea of "progress" click. It also made me think, maybe your husband is visual and seeing the paper brought it home to him?

I was totally nodding my head as I read your words about the purpose of grades in school versus the deep *knowledge* we have of our children's strengths and weaknesses. I sat in a workshop a few years ago and heard homeschooling grandparents who had been using a video and textbook program question *how* on *earth* they would know how the children were doing if they used a CM method. On the one hand, I completely understood their question. How do we know that they've made "enough" progress? On the other hand, the presenter's answer made so much sense as well--"I'm working with my daughter every day, all year long. If there's something she doesn't understand, I'm going to realize that and slow down and take the time until she understands it!"
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

tnahid

Re: Getting DH on the same page...

Post by tnahid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 pm

I too did the on again, off again homeschool route, so when I brought up that I thought we were really called back to homeschooling, my dh was a little worried and skeptical. But, our children were in a private school, which was expensive, and because his company hasn't done as well financially this year as last, it was actually helpful for him to be more positive about h-schooling, in order to save money on school tuition! It's expensive!! I am fortunate that my husband doesn't even consider our children going to Public school, so I don't have to worry about that.

My husband is very laid back about the homeschool, more than I am really, so in a way it is good, in a way it's not, because he just goes with whatever I am doing! And thinks it is great! Oh, they missed a day of math? No big deal! Just do it tomorrow. We didn't get our reading done today? That's okay! I am sure you did a lot! It'll be fine!

It is good, don't get me wrong, but sometimes, I think I need a little more accountability for myself! It is true, if we had no fear at all, or had our perfect way of homeschool life, it would come much nearer to unschooling than anything else :lol: , but because we just can't seem to take that route, the Charlotte Mason, relaxed is the best way to go for us! My husband doesn't really understand it, but he sees that my children love to read, and he thinks that is great, because he never had that as a child.

Well, I would say, just encourage your children to make things/art projects, etc, for your husband when he comes home and for them to tell him about their day. Treat him as the Principal, call on him for discipline issues when necessary, involve him as much or as little as he desires. A great book I got for my husband from the library is, "The Homeschooling Father" by Chris Klicka. Really short, concise and good for the dads to read. And pray, pray, pray! I can't complain any more to my hubby about it...we've gotta stick with it this time! He said he is done with the flip-flopping around!

Tina
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!