public school to Singapore, and a question about dyslexia

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
theruffs

public school to Singapore, and a question about dyslexia

Post by theruffs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi Ladies!

I am brand new to homeschooling. My boys have been in public school until this year, and starting in the fall we will be schooling at home. My boys are going in to 3rd and 5th and I have chosen to combine them and do Bigger Hearts. I also have a dd starting Kindergarten and will be doing Little Hearts. I am SO excited, but I am needing a little bit of direction in the math area...

I am going with Singapore 2A and B for my younger ds. Math isn't his favorite so I want to start out light and basic. But my older ds loves Math and it is definitely his strong suit. So I went with 4A and B. I noticed in the Instructor's guide there is a section for "mental math". Because he has come from public school and has done a lot of math the traditional way, should I start with an earlier book? I don't want to go back too far so he isn't bored, but can he jump right in to 4 without knowing some of the "Singapore ways" of doing mental math? Is there a separate mental math book that explains this method for older students that are just starting out? Hope I am wording my question right!

One other concern is that my older son is also dyslexic. Because of this he isn't independently reading yet so that is the main reason I have decided to go with Bigger. I think it's going to be a fantastic year! But I would love to hear if any of you have had success using HOD with children who struggle with dyslexia. I have wondered about future years and how they are going to work for him when the work is more independent.

Thank you!!

Tracy
doing LHFHG with 5 yo dd and BHFHG with 8 and 10 yo ds's in the fall!
In our 5th year of homeschooling:
DS (14) Revival to Revolution
DS (13) 7th grade PS
DD (9) Preparing Hearts for His Glory

lmercon

Re: public school to Singapore, and a question about dyslexia

Post by lmercon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi and Welcome,
You have started your hsing journey with the very BEST! However, as a former ps teacher, I can tell you that HOD and Singapore are a very different way of thinking and educating. I would suggest that you start slowly, adding in a subject or two every week until you are full-time. Your boys are coming from a place of reading textbooks for short-term memory in order to spit answers back out for a test. A CM-style of education, like HOD, has a different approach. Short readings are savored and considered. Children tell back what they have learned, adding their own opinions if they wish. They form relationships with the characters. Even nonfiction subjects, such as history and science, are learned in a narrative way, through stories. The quality of literature you will expose your dc to is nothing like most of the stuff in the ps libraries! A warning - they will soon demand quality literature on their own! My ds is simply not satisfied to read a silly little book anymore. :) So, go slowly as they "acclimate" to this style of learning.

As far as Singapore goes, I believe they have a placement test on their website that may help you. Singapore is quite different than a traditional American math course. It teaches strategies for mental math much earlier than ps does. Personally, I think the books are advanced. There really isn't a "cheat sheet" for the Singapore-way of mental math that I know of. I would suggest that you start both of them in 2A and B, with the expectation that your older ds will move more quickly through it. He can zoom ahead as he is able, but at least you will have covered all the bases. It's amazing how kids can show gaps in their understanding when math is approached in a different way. If you wanted to keep them together on 2A and B this year, you could also add in the Challenging Word Problems and/or the Intensive Practice workbooks. They would provide depth and extra practice for your older ds. Or let him zoom through the next level or two through the year.

My ds and I used Bigger this last year. It was absolutely wonderful. He learned so much and enjoys the learning process.

hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:02 pm

:D Welcome Tracy! :D

Here's a link to the placement test for Singapore. http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm You'll use the placement tests for Primary Math - US Edition (the 1st set there). My son placed in level 2A as a 3rd grader, and he is strong with math (and was coming from a program that is more advanced than the public schools here). So, don't be surprised if the level of Singapore you need does not match grade level.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

erdrmom

Post by erdrmom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Tracy! I am glad to see you are asking your questions here. These ladies are so knowledgeable! I don't have anything else to share that I haven't already shared. :lol: I just wanted to pop in and say hi!
Blessings,

Cindi
Loved teaching and learning through LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, & DITHOR
Planning for the upcoming year with DD10 in CTC half-pace and DS7 in BHFHG half-pace

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:43 pm

What a blessing to be able to take your kids home from ps. and be able to nurture them and teach them yourself. :D
I agree with the ladies that Singapore uses a completely different approach to math than any other program and is considered by some who write reviews the most advanced math programs in the U.S. :P
I just wanted to encourage you not to be discouraged after doing the Singapore placement tests recommended above if your children place way lower than expected. :o :shock:
If your older son is mathematical he will quickly mover through the concepts and quickly move through the books. :P Just let him know that the number on the Prim. Math books really does not correspond with the grade in ps. :oops:
For your younger son who does not seem mathematical it might benefit him to start with 1A and 1B to start him at the beginning of his journey in thinking mathematically. :idea:
I would encourage you to read some reviews and search the board on some previous posts on Singapore Math. :D
The best part is that Carrie has some incredible hands on activities in Beyond and Bigger for Prim. Math 1 and 2 books. :idea: :!: :wink: :D
Success and may this homeschool journey with HOD become a tremendous blessing to your family as it has been with ours! :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Tracy, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D You have found such a wonderful way to begin your homeschooling journey. HOD is such a blessing in our home, and I think you will find it is in yours as well. :) The ladies have already given you the advice I'd have given. Doing the Singapore placement test is well worth the time. It is accurate, and proper placement is huge - even a semester off makes a difference. I'd do the test and start wherever they place, even if it's lower than you expected. You can make up time later. For your dyslexic ds, do you have a special reading program for teaching him to read? I think that should continue to be a big focus this year for him. When I was teaching ps many years back, I found "The Reading Reflex" to be an excellent resource for teaching older dc to read. However, there are probably other resources now too, and if you are already having success with something else or have something else in mind to try that you are excited about, by all means, do that! By PHFHG, the dc begin to read the science on their own, so that would be a goal to work toward eventually. Also, starting DITHOR 2/3 when he is able, would be an excellent goal too. HTH, and it's nice to meet you! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 am

Hi-Im sure your boys are going to have awonderful year and that you will all learn so much.Singapore is quite a good,solid conceptual foundation to math. Math is reliant on building agood foundation -its perfectly possible for students to get to afurther point before it becomes apparent that they didnt understand the concept at all just how to get an answer.So this year I am re- doing 1A with my son-after a disasterous 8 months in PS.I dont anticipate that we will need to do all of the 1A/B workbooks-just that I need to
a]boost his badly damaged confidence and
b] re build some of that foundation we had already worked on.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD