Burgess books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Burgess books

Post by Marsha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Does anyone read the other Burgess books for Beyond Storytime or bedtime or assign them as readers?
I'm just trying to decide if I want to order more or not.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

khbmom

Re: Burgess books

Post by khbmom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

If I'm remembering correctly we did. DS loved those books and wanted more.

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:55 pm

My kids LOVED the Burgess Thornton read alouds when we did LHFHG. I ordered a bunch of other titles, and my kids read them at their leisure.

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:47 am

I ordered more because we did LHFHG for 2 yrs (half-paced) . we did storytime both years and my son loves the books. He said one day "mom, can "I " read those books?" I am not sure of the reading level, but my guess would be my son could read them in maybe another year? He is in Emerging readers now. Just finished Christian Liberty Reader and our last day of school yesterday! Yippee! Start back August 2nd full swing.
Funny.. this morning he says " what do we have for school today, mom?" so glad my kids both love school :)

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

While doing LHFHG, we kept it just to the ones planned in the guide to be sure the discussions built their comprehension and listening ability step-by-step through the year. But after finishing LHFHG, when we started Beyond, I got many of the other Burgess books and my ds read them on his own. He loved them! :D We used the Beyond Classic set for oldest when we did Beyond, and the Boy Set for my middle ds when he did Beyond. We found those Storytime books to be meatier and a nice progression to harder read-alouds after completing the Burgess books for Storytime in LHFHG. Since the discussions for Storytime are genre based, I don't think using the Burgess books for the Beyond Storytime would work, as the Burgess books are all the same genre. However, they are excellent read-alouds for bedtime or fun readers if the child is able to read them independently. HTH as you consider what you'd like to do! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:19 pm

We're currently reading Old Mother West Wind as a bedtime book. It has short chapters each on one subject so it's perfect for bedtime. We have many of the other books as well and will continue to use them as fun read alouds at bedtime or other times. I was considering having my ds read one of them as an easier choice for DITHR for the fantasy genre. If not for that I am sure they will want to read them someday just for fun. They are such fun books! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1