Beefing up Beyond...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Beefing up Beyond...

Post by Marsha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm

I will have my 2nd and 4th grader in Beyond.
I know there was a post on adding a little extra to Beyond.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

inHistiming

Re: Beefing up Beyond...

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:01 pm

I will be using Beyond...with just my 2nd grader, so won't be beefing it up. However, with the later guides that have extensions for older children, it is basically in the areas of science and history and the child has extra reading to do that relates to what is being studied in those subjects. So for Beyond... you could try the library for books that are related to each period in history and each topic in science and have your 4th grader do extra reading on those things each week. I'm sure other ladies will chime in with more detailed suggestions, hopefully someone who's actually done it. I just wanted to give you an idea of how it's done in the older guides. HTH :wink:

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi!! I just started using Beyond last week with my 1st and 4th graders. So far I have added in Preparing to Build 2 for english, and DITHOR for reading... I was going to beef up his spelling, too, but he is unsure of himself in this area and the option 2 lists are building his confidence for now!

After a whole week in Beyond, he crept out of bed one night to whisper in my ear..."Mom, I really like our new curriculum.." and this from my reluctant 4th grader! Just right for him, and Bigger will be right on track next year with the extensions. I'm sure other moms can give you more detail, and I'll be learning right along with you!

Alecia
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Marsha - I'm thinking this is the post you were referring to...
Carrie explains how to beef up Beyond for a fourth grader:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3247&p=24196

HTH!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Alecia,

I just had to pop-in to mention that the image of your little guy creeping out of bed at night to whisper in your ear that he really liked his new curriculum brought tears to my eyes. :D What a wonderful moment to capture in your heart.

I know it blessed my heart today! :D

Blessings,
Carrie