Any tips on how to follow a reading schedule?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Betameculia

Any tips on how to follow a reading schedule?

Post by Betameculia » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm

We are just about to begin LHFHG combined with the Basics from BLHFHG.

Both my boys, aged nearly 7 and nearly 6 are very competent independent readers. However, since they haven't quite got the maturity to do DITHOR, I am going to start them on the emerging readers program. The 'problem' (if you can call it that) is that they are capable of reading nearly anything they get their hands on and they're very self-motivated readers.

How do I get them to follow a schedule? How do I entice them to read the books set down for reading? I want to use the Emerging Readers program to prepare them for DITHOR which I know we are going to love.

The other thing is that we already have the Beginner's Bible, which is scheduled for the first 9 units. It's way too easy for them and I can't stand the goofy illustrations. Anyway, they read and love the Family Time Bible themselves and since we're using it for LHFHG I think that's quite enough. I've checked some of the alternative titles and they look either too easy or have already been read.

What I'm thinking of doing is using the first nine weeks to ease ourselves into LHFHG and let them read what they want. At the moment they really enjoy reading The Magic Treehouse series as well as all their beloved picture book classics. Then, at unit 10, introduce the books from the Emerging Readers Schedule which we have not yet read.

Still, I'm going to face the issue of following a reading schedule at some time.

Any tips?

Annette

MomtoJGJE

Re: Any tips on how to follow a reading schedule?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:48 am

I would suggest just starting halfway through the emerging readers set, or roughly the nature reader. That's where it takes a pretty decent jump in abilities... still nothing hard for your kids, but more than frog and toad :)

Then I'd just mark where they are supposed to read for the day, give them 10-15 minutes to read it, and then ask them the questions out of the back of the Beyond guide.

jjcmehl

Post by jjcmehl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 am

I agree with the above poster. The books before the Nature Reader sound like they would be far to easy for your children. I was trying to figure this out for the DS this year and realized just that. I found some of the Emerging Reading books at our library and viewed the others on Amazon or Barnes and Nobles sample pages. I think your idea for the Bible sounds great. Have a great upcoming year!
Christine
wife to DH for 11 years
DD 10.5 (5th) Preparing w/ Ext, French, Logic
DS 9 (4th) Preparing, French
DS 5 (K) Bible, story, & 3 R's
Adding: Suzuki piano; nature, composer, & picture studies
DS 2.5 Tot School
DS 6 mo. Starting to crawl

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 am

The ladies have already been so encouraging in their answers here. I would agree. You can start the Emerging Readers Set in the middle and move forward from there. I would just follow the schedule in the Appendix, as it does an excellent job of leading them to deeper comprehension and toward oral narration skills each day incrementally. Our dc were able to read above the ERS level when we did it with them too, but I wanted them to learn to slow down and think about their reading more, and to learn more focused comprehension skills. The ERS was perfect for that, and it was a nice bridge to the increased rigor of DITHOR. Our dc still can blow through books like crazy, and I let them know that's fine with their books in their rooms, but not for school. :wink: We've talked about how our HOD books (for DITHOR and other subject areas they are reading) are different. As CM said, living books such as these are meant to be savored, thought upon, and enjoyed slowly over time. This also makes it possible to further discuss and comprehend character and plot development, as there is time for this to truly be learned. It is super helpful to set this precedence right from the get-go! As my dc absolutely love to read, but have not ever balked about this savoring approach for school - they get that's the way it's meant to go. One other thought I'd had - if you get to the end of the ERS early on in the year (which you probably will since you're only doing a portion of it), you could have your dc read "101 Favorite Stories from the Bible" (since you won't be using it for LHFHG as you're using "The Family Time Bible"). That would up the level of reading nicely, while keeping the short lesson, savor the reading, concept alive, and it has comprehension questions on each page. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Thank you for all these replies, they have helped clarify and organise my approach enormously. Starting about half way through would be pretty well perfect and I can use the first few weeks to ease into the history material in Little Hearts, finish phonics review and work on handwriting skills, which have been priorities this year. Then we can start up with our reading program when we're comfortable with the new schedule. I like the distinction between 'reading' books and 'thinking' books, Julie!

Tell me, is DITHOR too much for a 6 or 7 year old? I know my boys would be quite capable with the reading on its own, but I'm not so sure about the analysis. Would it be a good idea to do level 2 in a more informal way and then repeat it with alternative books and in greater depth the following year?

Again thanks,

Annette

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 am

Betameculia wrote:...Tell me, is DITHOR too much for a 6 or 7 year old? I know my boys would be quite capable with the reading on its own, but I'm not so sure about the analysis. Would it be a good idea to do level 2 in a more informal way and then repeat it with alternative books and in greater depth the following year?
DITHOR is quite an advanced reading program - you are so right about the analysis part of it being more for mature readers. Our older dc were both avid readers early on as well, reading books that were far above their age levels, but DITHOR would have been too much for them still at 6 yo, and even at 7 yo, we started it very low key, easing into it. I wouldn't do it with anyone under 7 yo. I described how we started DITHOR with our middle ds in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5788&p=42496

We also eased into the writing portion of DITHOR. I first wrote their answers for them in their Student Book. Then, I wrote them on marker board, and they copied them. Last, they did it on their own. This progression really helped them be successful. :D

Each Student Book level of DITHOR can be completed several times, using harder books the second time around. For your 6 yo for sure, I'd think doing all of or just the second half of the ERS would be great. For your 7 yo, you could either do the second half of the ERS and start DITHOR in a low key way, or you could just start DITHOR and ease into it slowly over the year. However, you will know what would be best for your dc - I'm just thinking that the ERS is such fun and builds good comprehension, and you'll have many wonderful years ahead of you with DITHOR - no need to rush into it if dc are young, as it will be waiting in the wings to enjoy in years to come. HTH as you consider what will fit your sweeties best! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:14 pm

my3sons wrote: Each Student Book level of DITHOR can be completed several times, using harder books the second time around. For your 6 yo for sure, I'd think doing all of or just the second half of the ERS would be great. For your 7 yo, you could either do the second half of the ERS and start DITHOR in a low key way, or you could just start DITHOR and ease into it slowly over the year. However, you will know what would be best for your dc - I'm just thinking that the ERS is such fun and builds good comprehension, and you'll have many wonderful years ahead of you with DITHOR - no need to rush into it if dc are young, as it will be waiting in the wings to enjoy in years to come. HTH as you consider what will fit your sweeties best! :D
This year I'll focus on the second half of the ERS for both boys, doing the books listed as well as the supplementary reading (we already have some of the supplementary books and the boys have not yet read them, lucky!). Would it be best next year to do some of the easy titles from DITHOR, just enjoy them and incorporate some oral narration? Then, as the years pass, gradually build in analytical skills as appropriate. I can see DITHOR, used as written, working really well starting from about nine years old.

I really need something structured to give my busy little guys something to think about. There is so much junk out there!

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 am

This year I'll focus on the second half of the ERS for both boys, doing the books listed as well as the supplementary reading
I was just going to suggest having your children read the supplemental titles along with the original titles. :D This is what I'm doing with my 7 yr. ds. All the titles are so wonderful, I wanted to enjoy them along with my ds. We'll start DITHoR in a year or so.

Enjoy!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}