CTC - Writing Program

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
CindyK

CTC - Writing Program

Post by CindyK » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I ordered CTC for my 7th grader (12 yod) with extensions and also DITHOR. She is also doing R&S 6 half pace. I ordered the Writing Program that is scheduled, "Write With The Best Vol. 1" and for some reason thought I also needed "Igniting Your Writing II" so I ordered that also. Is Igniting Your Writing scheduled in any of the Guides?

I'm thinking about possibly having her do Igniting Your Writing on Fridays (5th day) since CTC is a 4 day schedule. What are your thoughts on this? Am I scheduling too much writing for her? She absolutely loves reading and writing and was thrilled that there were 2 writing books. :lol: If this seems too much though I could always let her do Igniting Your Writing over the summer since she's been begging to do school. I've been having to pull things out from my stash of things to try to give her something to do although I have already handed her a book for writing to use this summer. I hope I have this "problem" with my younger two some day. :lol: I sure didn't have this "problem" with my older two who are in college. :)

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by CindyK on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Cindy~

17yr. old dd -World History Guide
11yr. old ds - Preparing plus extensions
9yr. old dd - other

4froggies

Re: CTC - Writing Program

Post by 4froggies » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Although I just finished CTC with a 5th grader, not a 7th grader, I do think it might be too much to try to do both. Between the writing they do in Rod and Staff, Write with the best, and the written narration, we felt like it was really plenty of writing. I would encourage you to start with CTC the way it was written first before trying to supplement. The four days are very full, and we enjoyed having the fifth day to finish up. HTH! :D
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

my3sons

Re: CTC - Writing Program

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 pm

We just finished CTC as well, and I agree with 4froggies - I think it may be too much and may detract from dd doing her best with the rest of the writing instruction in CTC. However, if she's an avid writer, why not have her start "Igniting Your Writing" this summer in a low key way? She could just do it if she wants to, however often she wants to. I love writing myself and would have enjoyed this opportunity (along with the freedom to choose to do it or not :wink: ) as a child. If she continues to love it, you could have her take a month off from it (if she had even chose to do it in the summer), and start CTC with both barrels firing. :D Then, after a month of doing all of CTC, you could let her dig back into "Igniting Your Writing" if she wanted to on the fifth day of the week, provided she gave her word she'd give CTC 100% on the other 4 days. Those are just my thoughts though - you'll know your dd best! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie