new and looking for some advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Re: new and looking for some advice

Post by deltagal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello again,

There are quite a few posts on the 2 phonics programs HOD recommends - just search TRL and RME. Here's one to get you going:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6032
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for the link...I was having a hard time with the search for some reason....words too common.
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:40 pm

mommadonna wrote:Thanks for the link...I was having a hard time with the search for some reason....words too common.
I had the same problem, as well, but then I thought to use the anacronym and that worked!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am

Ugh...I just "wrote" all this and lost it, so here goes again....

I have been pouring over the message board, website, and catalog since my last post. This is what I have come up with for now...doing lhth with r side of lhfhg for this year and then do lhfhg with 1st options for the next. He will be above the ages suggested for lhth. This bothers me a wee bit, as I am still working to "deprogram" myself from ps thinking. But, I do like where this places him for future guides. It may also give me a chance to use up some of the other things that I have bought to try as I beef up lhth. I have a couple of questions though....

Is there additional book recommendations in the appendix of lhth? I am thinking no, but hoping that some of you will know for sure....

And, I don't want to miss the math activities next year when using lhfhg for 1st, but aren't the 1st math activities in the beyond guide? This will have me working out of 2 guides, but i think that this is just going to be a way of life for us around here with 3 little ones doing school (eventually).

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement...I tend to need alot of it!! :oops: Hopefully someday I will be able to serve others here as you so graciously do now.
Donna
ds7 Beyond

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:37 am

one more thing...should I do storytime or save it for 1st? hopefully he will be into the emerging readers set sometime during 1st?? right?
Donna
ds7 Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:47 pm

mommadonna wrote:...This is what I have come up with for now...doing lhth with r side of lhfhg for this year and then do lhfhg with 1st options for the next.
I think this is a good plan! This will give him some time to grow in some areas, but keep his LA and math on track. If you are thinking he really just needs your single attention, you could just do LHTH with him, and save it for the 3 yo and 1 yo until later. But, you'll know best about that. :wink:
mommadonna wrote:Is there additional book recommendations in the appendix of lhth? I am thinking no, but hoping that some of you will know for sure....
There aren't, but you could do both devotions for LHTH. :D Doing the LHFHG Storytime would be a good way to work on listening skills and comprehension skills too. :wink:
mommadonna wrote:And, I don't want to miss the math activities next year when using lhfhg for 1st, but aren't the 1st math activities in the beyond guide? This will have me working out of 2 guides, but i think that this is just going to be a way of life for us around here with 3 little ones doing school (eventually).

I would just do the right hand side of LHFHG this year, and the right hand side of Beyond the next year (along with the left side of LHFHG). Many, many moms are doing this and finding it easy to do. :D That way that following year, you can use the left side of LHFHG along with the Beyond math activities, the Emerging Reader's Set, spelling list one, the one time a week grammar, and even the Beyond Storytime. The year after that (now we're getting way far ahead :lol: ), you could just choose a different Beyond Storytime set while using Beyond as your main program, do Beyond's spelling list 2, and use the Bigger Hearts right side for just the math plans and the R & S English 2. You can see the using the right side will gradually fade out and then you will just be in one guide. I hope that makes sense! :D

I think you have a good plan in place here, but keep chatting it through until you're set. :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie