Sharing our summer schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Sharing our summer schedule

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 am

We are going to be doing school through the summer..not everyday, but as much as we can. I've flip flopped our day so we can enjoy the cooler mornings for fun, and when it's hot and we're stuck inside, we can do school and chores. It's going to be triple digits here this week!
I have DD finishing 3rd and turning 9 on the 15th, partway through Bigger, and teaching her some independence and how to use the guide in prep for Preparing and since she's entering 4th grade (eek! happened so fast!). I have DS6.5 finishing K, just getting into LHFHG. And DS3.5 (4 in Sept), a few units into LHTH. Then I have a 6.5 month old son as well. I do not include times on my schedule, but made it more of a routine or order of events. If I get off track by a few minutes on a schedule, then it ruins my whole day and I get SO stressed! So, this just works better. I also made a second file that are cards I will laminate or either cut into individual cards, or leave as a whole sheet laminated on the wall for DD to check off. The 2nd pagee of this file is each persons after-meal time duties. You'll see "Room Rescue" scheduled in...that is my new word for "quick clean" or "10 second tidy" (from "Big Comfy Couch" kid show) b/c we need more of a rescue effort. Ha! :lol: Just follow the link below and it will take you to my HOD files...the last two should be it. Summer Schedule and Summer Schedule Cards.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show.ph ... 4&fclick=y
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

pjdobro

Re: Sharing our summer schedule

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 am

That made me tired reading your schedule. :D I love the organization. I'm striving now to get better organized and hopefully have a better system in place, especially for housework, come fall. I love the note cards and how you have instructions on them to help him become more independent. That's a great idea that I might try come fall when we start Bigger. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:32 am

pjdobro wrote:That made me tired reading your schedule. :D I love the organization. I'm striving now to get better organized and hopefully have a better system in place, especially for housework, come fall. I love the note cards and how you have instructions on them to help him become more independent. That's a great idea that I might try come fall when we start Bigger. :D
I get tired just reading it too! LOL Then I realize I actually have to DO IT. :lol: I seem to have forgotten to put in a nap for myself, but don't think it will fit in! At least it seems to flow on paper, now to put it to the test (which didn't happen today b/c I've been up with baby since 1am.)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Tomorrow is my dd's last day at school. I've never been one to hold to a schedule, but with this dd, I will need to have a schedule. Starting next week, until we begin LHFHG full force in August, I want to work on TRL and also work on some Math. DD will be doing Earlybird Math with the guide, but at the beginning, much will be review, so I thought we'd do what we can before August. Then we could go right into 1A whenever she finishes that. I really want to spend a lot of time outdoors with her, because staying indoors turns to television and I'm trying to limit that. It's tough when I need to get some work done and she will not content herself with her play things. I really need to get a system. Since having dd in school, she has a better understanding of what is expected of her, and I have a better understanding of how I need to handle our day. I haven't officially made a schedule, so any examples are helpful. DD does like to help me 'do chores, as she calls it. She still needs much supervision, but giving her personal jobs to do will be on that schedule. This is going to take a lot of self-discipline, so responses to this thread will be helpful for me.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

smithdonnajo

Post by smithdonnajo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for posting! It is very helpful to see what others are doing. I like how you did it as a "routine" and didn't have specific times.
Donna Jo