confused bigger/beyond decision

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GracieMarie

confused bigger/beyond decision

Post by GracieMarie » Sat May 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I am totally confusing myself and need help. I am completely set with my 12 year old in CTC (very independent/bright and will take the guide and run with it) but don't know what to do with my 7 & 9 year olds. I need to keep them together for science and history. Both are alittle behind for their years. My fault not theirs. I have older and younger children then these mentioned and we had some medical/life issues so these 2 did not get their schooling in.

The 9 year old reads well, does not know cursive and has not had hardly any grammar. She has done copy work on her own with draw/write books and is a bright girl. I think she belongs in Bigger. Is horribly behind in math, probably 2nd grade level because we have just not done it. (this is so embarrassing)

My 7 year old boy is in the middle of phonics and does not write well or had any grammar but is a bright little guy though not into writing. He places in Beyond. Is probably first grade math even though he is going into 2nd.

Again I just want to do one history/science. If I am figuring this out correctly, I will need both guides and it would look something like this. Please tell me if I am understanding everything. Is it OK to go for the history and science in Bigger? They both love to be read to and have listened to chapter books. I want to keep this as much open and go as possible but still reach them at their levels.

DS 7 (2nd grade in fall)Beyond right side of page with math 1AB and bigger left side
DD 9 (forth grade in fall)Bigger as written, math 2AB with R&S 2 and cheerful cursive.
Should I purchase math 3 also as maybe my oldest will move through 2 quick?
Again please tell me if I am understand all of this correctly? I would like to start in early July to get a head start on the school year. Thank you so much!
Beyond ds 2nd grade and dd 4th grade (with LA portions of bigger)
CTC dd 7th grade
little guy with down syndrome starting LHTH soon.

inHistiming

Re: confused bigger/beyond decision

Post by inHistiming » Sat May 29, 2010 6:26 pm

GraceMarie,

Welcome to the HOD board!

I just wanted to chime in real quick and encourage you not to feel to embarrassed. We all have life issues, illnesses, etc. that often cause us to get 'behind' so I think everyone here will understand. However, I also understand the guilt you may be feeling over not 'getting it' done' like you feel you should have. I've been there too. The good thing is, God is in control and He will help you get back on track. :wink:

As far as ages go, your two could go into Bigger together. However, if your younger one fits right into Beyond according to the placement chart, it may be a better idea to purchase both guides as you mentioned so you can utilize the 'right side plans' as needed. And of course your 9 yr old fits right into the Bigger age range.

Another option, if your 9 yr old is a bit behind for her age, you could try to go through Beyond with them both. This would be a shorter day for you and them, plus would allow you to devote more time to the 'problem' areas, such as math, that you mentioned. I used Beyond with my daughter when she was 8 and she loved it....actually, my older son (10 at the time) was always asking to listen in on a lot of the readings too. It was a great year for us and it could be a good option for you, and would keep the confusion to a minimum, I think. Just a thought. I'm sure others will be along to offer their wise suggestions. :)

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:35 pm

GracieMarie wrote: (this is so embarrassing)

Oh, don't be embarressed! You are in the right place. Once you have your little ones placed properly and get a few months behind you, you will be AMAZED at their progress. When we started HOD (this year), I found out that my oldest son needed more work in certain areas than I had counted on. And, we have always done school quite diligently. HOD is a very structured (and yet still flexible... yes, sounds impossible, but it's true) curriculum and your children will make steady progress in a gentle way. You will love it!

I can't help much with your placement issues though I would probably go with Beyond and add a little content for the 9 year old.

Blessings and welcome,
Donna
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sat May 29, 2010 7:32 pm

I agree with the suggestions to put both in Beyond and use the extra time to strengthen any perceived areas of "weakness." Beyond is a very wonderful program and could be beefed up some for the older dc if needed. You could extend her with additional reading on the subjects you are studying. Starting with Bigger, there are optional extension packages you can order for an older child who needs more. My sil used Bigger last year with her 8 and 10 yo, and it worked great. Just a thought.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat May 29, 2010 7:34 pm

I just have a sec to reply, and haven't read the others yet...so sorry if I repeat something!

I would really consider doing Beyond as is for the 7yo, both sides. And Beyond left side (history, etc) with the 9yo as well. Then right side of Bigger for the 9yo. Then next year, do Bigger for 7yo as is, and just the Preparing right side for 9yo plus Bigger's extensions.
It is far easier to beef up, than to water down. And all the guides starting with Bigger have extensions for an older child to join the younger. You also need to consider if the work load of Bigger would be too much for your 7yo since that child places into Beyond....Beyond to Bigger is quite the step. I think Beyond would prepare them both well for Bigger, and Beyond would not be too "little" for your 9yo...and once in Bigger, you could really get to your 9yo's level well with the extensions.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat May 29, 2010 8:33 pm

I agree with some of the other posters that the history and science writing portion of Bigger might be a bit much for your 7 year old so Beyond might be a better choice. Thinking ahead to the next year, it might be better to use Beyond as your core history for both dc this year since if you use Bigger this year then next year you would be in Preparing and that might be way too much for your younger son next year. I think Mom2Monkeys has laid out a good plan for you.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat May 29, 2010 9:03 pm

GracieMarie,

I wanted to pop in and welcome you, too! :D I'm agreeing with what the other ladies have said about going with Beyond & then using the "upped" basics for the 9 yo this year. You could do Cheerful Cursive with her. She could use either the 2nd spelling list in Bigger or the dictation if she's ready for that. I'd have her take the placement test(s) for Singapore and start wherever she places. (And you really don't need to look at those levels as "grade levels"... We switched to Singapore when my ds was 8 and he used levels 2A & 2B for "3rd" grade and is WELL ahead of friends in publc & private schools here. :wink: ) Here's a link to the placement tests - you need the US edition. http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm If she's ready for 2A or B, I'd definitely use the hands-on activities in Bigger's manual. They're great! :D For reading, I'd either use the Emerging Readers (scheduled in the apendix of either Beyond or Bigger) or Drawn Into the Heart of Reading (DITHOR) if she's past that level.

I'm sure there was a post somewhere about what to add in for an older child joining a sibling in Beyond....but I can't find it tonight. :? I'm sure Carrie would be very willing to give you advice about what you could add in if you thought it was necessary. Otherwise...having the history & science a little lighter to really work on other basics may be just what you need & have time for this year! :wink:

I'm sure you'll love HOD! And having it so nicely scheduled for you will be a breath of fresh air & make it so easy to use! (At least it was here!!!) :D Praying for you as you make your decision.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

GracieMarie

Post by GracieMarie » Sat May 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow, so many replies so quickly. I can't thank you all enough. I think I will go with Beyond for both but add some of the bigger right side stuff. The lighter history and science is a good idea so we can concentrate on basics and getting a schooling routine going. I am so excited! Thank you again!!!
CTC dd 7th grade

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 31, 2010 9:55 am

You already have such a good plan in place, and the ladies have already done such an awesome job of helping you - so I just get to celebrate with you! HOORAY! :D You are set with your 2 sweeties. I'll also just link you to a pp that may be helpful:
Carrie explains how to beef up Beyond for a fourth grader:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3247&p=24196

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

GracieMarie

Post by GracieMarie » Mon May 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Thank you Julie for taking the time to post the link. It was very helpful! This is a wonderful place.
GracieMarie
CTC dd 7th grade

pamh

Post by pamh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 am

I just read Julies post about viewing Carries post on beefing up Beyond for older child. Now I'm wondering if you use half Beyond (for science, geography, history) and then Bigger for english and math, when do you end up using only one guide? This is where my sons at but I'm not sure I want to keep buying 2 guides and keep going back and forth BUT I don't want him to miss anything either. Honestly, preparing for the next school year gives me a HUGE headache and stress because I'm never sure if I'm doing the "right" thing. It'd be so easy for me to go back to Abeka and play it safe but honestly there was no fun in it.

Pam

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 am

pamh wrote:I just read Julies post about viewing Carries post on beefing up Beyond for older child. Now I'm wondering if you use half Beyond (for science, geography, history) and then Bigger for english and math, when do you end up using only one guide? This is where my sons at but I'm not sure I want to keep buying 2 guides and keep going back and forth BUT I don't want him to miss anything either. Honestly, preparing for the next school year gives me a HUGE headache and stress because I'm never sure if I'm doing the "right" thing. It'd be so easy for me to go back to Abeka and play it safe but honestly there was no fun in it.

Pam
Hi Pam! :D You actually won't always be buying 2 guides - other than for the first year. The next year, you'd already have bought your core guide (having used only the right side the last year), and so then you'd only need to buy 1 guide (the next level up) for the right side. I hope that makes sense! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Pam,

This is where we have been the last couple of years using the left side of LHFHG with the English and Math in Beyond last year, then this past year having used the left side of Beyond with the English and Math in Bigger. This Fall we'll end up just using the Bigger guide using the math schedule for 3A and 3B from the back and using R&S3 instead of 2. We'll just be starting the dictation in Bigger this year as we've done the spelling lists up until this point. So if you are not using the dictation this year in Bigger, next year you'll be able to be exclusively in the Bigger TM just substituting R&S3 for R&S2. If you do use the dictation in Bigger this year then next year you'll need the Preparing TM for your dictation and really nothing else. When you get to Preparing everything will be in the one guide. R&S4 is scheduled in the Preparing guide as well as Singapore 4A and 4B. I don't have the Preparing guide yet, but I think it has several levels of dictation in it as well. So basically once you get through this year with the hands on math activities in Bigger, you'll end up pretty much in one guide at a time from here on out. It sounds much more complicated than it is in practice. It really isn't a big deal to use the other guide for the math and English instruction. As Julie pointed out, you won't actually be having to purchase 2 guides a year except this first year. After that you'll already have your core guide for the next year and one year, you won't even have to buy another guide. That's where I am this year. I already had my guide for this year. :) Of course, having always had the next guide up in hand, I'm feeling a bit insecure now and thinking seriously about getting the Preparing guide. I like knowing what lies ahead and being prepared for the next step. :wink:
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1