What do I do with my middle and high schoolers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
yaya

What do I do with my middle and high schoolers

Post by yaya » Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 am

Hi There,

I am very new here, so first an intro...wife for almost 20 years. Mom to 5 sons...(ages in the Fall-18, 15, 12, 6, 4).

My friends introduced me to HOD and I am so excited to begin. I am still gathering my 'goods', but I am stumped as to what to do.

I will be doing:

LHTH with 4yo
LHFHG with 6 yo

:?: thinking about Preparing for 12 yo who is entering 6th grade :?:

I am stumped about 15 yo sons. Was thinking CTC?? Would that work? Am I totally stretching the program? :?: I really want my 15 yo to get the 4 year cycle, but not at his detriment. I know I would need to bulk up but I need help in deciding if even to go this route. What do y'all do do? I don't see many moms of jr./high schoolers here(prob for the obvious reason). I REALLY want to use HOD and not sure what other options I have that would compliment HOD. I should say too...options need to be Charlotte Mason friendly.

TIA~
Sonya :D
Sonya
Married to my best friend for 20 yrs

All our boys...
18-debate, speech, math, govt, leadership
15-CTC
12-Preparing
6-LHFHG
4-LHTH

deltagal

Re: What do I do with my middle and high schoolers

Post by deltagal » Sat May 29, 2010 11:30 am

Hi! and welcome to HOD...

It sounds as if your littlest ones are set. Yay! And CTC looks good for your 12 year old. Will you be using the extension readings? if so, here's a thread on how to utilize those readings to give your child more experience with writing...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3930

Regarding high school, you are correct that there are not that many HOD users for this level....yet! But that number grows the more advanced the guides become. Here'a few threads regarding high school so you can explore what the thinking is...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5400

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5500

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6220

Post back with more questions, as you think and pray.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

3boysandagirl

Post by 3boysandagirl » Sat May 29, 2010 11:34 am

No I don't think it would be too difficult to make CTC or RTR work for high school. We are getting ready to do just that with RTR. My boys are not doing the science, they are going ahead with their Apologia curriculum that we have been doing. Same with Maths, we are just continuing our MUS Geometry and Algebra 2.

The rest of it though, we're probably gonna do pretty much the way it is written. We'll be using the extensions for my almost 14yr old and for the almost 16 I plan on pulling a few books from the Ambleside Online curriculum just to beef it up a bit. That curriculum is listed by year and by timeline (sort of) so it's easy to match up where you might be able to grab a couple of books to add to the history and lit. I don't think alot has to be added though to RTR, the books used are comparable to TOG and Ambleside, very rich living books. I love how Carrie has done all of the work for me. :lol:

I know there are a couple of threads where Carrie offers some ideas for stretching CTC for high school, I'm not very savvy so I can't link here. :oops: Hopefully, some one else will pop on and put a couple of links for you. You can always search CTC High school and see what comes up.

Sorry not terribly helpful but welcome to the boards, you'll love it here.
Christi

Married to High School sweetheart for 16 years
Mom to four blessings
Fall (2011/2012)
DS 16- PS
DS 14- RevtoRev w/extensions
DS 8- PS
DD 6- PS
http://reedpartyof6.blogspot.com/

3boysandagirl

Post by 3boysandagirl » Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 am

Just wanted to point out that other than the 18 year old and my youngest is a girl, we could be the same person. :D :D :D Kind of, sort of. :lol: Anyway, if you ever need someone to commiserate with, let me know. My boys are 15, 13, and 7 in August ( or so he keeps telling me) and my daughter is 5 in August.

We have been doing LHFHG this year with our 6yr and 4yr, but the 4 is getting lost; so we'll be going back and picking up LHTH in the Fall for her. My boys had just finished TOG yr 1 which covers the Ancients, otherwise we would be starting with CTC as well, to do the history rotation. I really think that this can be tweaked to work, so definitely keep at it.

Good Luck,
Christi

Married to High School sweetheart for 16 years
Mom to four blessings
Fall (2011/2012)
DS 16- PS
DS 14- RevtoRev w/extensions
DS 8- PS
DD 6- PS
http://reedpartyof6.blogspot.com/

yaya

Post by yaya » Sat May 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi! and welcome to HOD...It sounds as if your littlest ones are set. Yay! And CTC looks good for your 12 year old. Will you be using the extension readings? if so, here's a thread on how to utilize those readings to give your child more experience with writing...Regarding high school, you are correct that there are not that many HOD users for this level....yet! But that number grows the more advanced the guides become. Here'a few threads regarding high school so you can explore what the thinking is...Post back with more questions, as you think and pray.

Thanks Deltagal! I am reading through the links you sent. I am excited that this is going to be at least a consideration for us-HODFHS (HOD for High School) now. I will, I am sure, be asking a lot more as the days/weeks go by. My plan is to do CTC with my high schooler-(15 yo) and Preparing with my middle schooler-(12 yo). All this will need lots of tweaking and bulking but I hope to be able to do that-with some much needed help form this board. TIA!!!!
Just wanted to point out that other than the 18 year old and my youngest is a girl, we could be the same person. :D :D :D Kind of, sort of. :lol: Anyway, if you ever need someone to commiserate with, let me know. My boys are 15, 13, and 7 in August ( or so he keeps telling me) and my daughter is 5 in August.
LOLOLOL :lol:
We have been doing LHFHG this year with our 6yr and 4yr, but the 4 is getting lost; so we'll be going back and picking up LHTH in the Fall for her. My boys had just finished TOG yr 1 which covers the Ancients, otherwise we would be starting with CTC as well, to do the history rotation. I really think that this can be tweaked to work, so definitely keep at it
Hi 3bn1g~I can see that it can be done. THANKS for your encouragement! Looking forward to talking to ya more. :wink:

Sonya
Sonya
Married to my best friend for 20 yrs

All our boys...
18-debate, speech, math, govt, leadership
15-CTC
12-Preparing
6-LHFHG
4-LHTH