Guilt over not spending enough time with little ones!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: Guilt over not spending enough time with little ones!

Post by my3sons » Mon May 24, 2010 8:53 am

Ana - Praise the Lord! :D I am so glad you have found some encouragement here, as that is all of our heart's desire in helping one another here. Having some new things to try can really make such a difference. I've found sometimes it's the little things I change that can make the biggest changes overall! One year I got up 30 minutes early and that did the trick. Another year I added playtimes for my older/toddler, and middle/toddler, and that was the ticket. Last year I added LHTH, and that did it. :D Like deltagal said, every year is different. What worked last year for a schedule doesn't always work next year for me, but the general gist of it can stay the same. :D So, each of these little changes has helped the next year go better too. I think you will find this to be true as well. :D I have prayed for you as you ponder this and make a new plan. Just know you are not alone in this - we all feel this way at times - that's why this thread has had so much response! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

wertzeemom

Post by wertzeemom » Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

A lot of good advice! Encouraging for this mom who chickened out on this year but is coming back to homeschooling, totally re-loaded, for next year!
10 yo DD -
8 yo DD -
3 yo DS -

cocomimilily

Post by cocomimilily » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I too can relate to this guilty feeling...I have also considered a video curriculum, but in my heart I know this is not what the Lord wants me to do at this time and pray He grants me the grace to continue on. I just wanted to recommend a book that I have found soooo helpful and plan on reading again this summer..."Managers of Their Homes" by the Maxwells. They have wonderful suggestions for families with multiple children and how to make sure you spend time with each of them and also get it all done. It is very encouraging.

Beth
Married to my best friend for 18 years and Mama to 4 precious blessings:
Chloe- 9
Camille-7
Lily-5
Micaiah-8 months
"He who eats Me shall live because of Me". Matt 6:57

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 am

Just have to add that I feel the same way and all the encouragement is so helpful and reassuring. I haven't had time to get on the board lately and I found the one great post I needed to read. We just had our fourth and she is only 5 weeks old so I can't be too hard on myself either - Julie your post is full of great encouragement and ideas. The times when I've had more of a schedule things go much smoother. We just started easing back into some school work before summer officially starts and I've kind of been doing the basics of some English and Math, Reading. I know, I'm amazed that I even have everyone fed and dressed. :shock: We're going to write up some kind of schedule just to sort it out and help the boys stay on track. I think they crave something like that as well, even if it doesn't always seem like it. They know what to expect and know they are getting time with mom.
Thanks for the blessing, and know that you are definitely not alone. :D
Kristen
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts