Hints on Child Training~H. Clay Trumbull

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaPajama

Hints on Child Training~H. Clay Trumbull

Post by MamaPajama » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

I was just curious if anyone has read this book. I just ordered it used after reading a quote in Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion. We are trying to make some positive changes in our home, and this book sounds like it will fit the bill wonderfully.

Does anyone have any experience they could share?

Tukata

Re: Hints on Child Training~H. Clay Trumbull

Post by Tukata » Thu May 13, 2010 6:45 pm

I actually just started re-reading this book yesterday! It has some practical "gems" in it that have helped me personally - I hope that you like it too! It's been awhile since my first reading, but I am really enjoying reading it again. The chapter on never scolding a child as well as the chapter on will training instead of will breaking are the ones I remember the most from my first read. Please let me know how you like it!
Erin :D
Mama to
dd 5
dd 3
ds 1
All three growing up way too fast!!

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Thu May 13, 2010 8:05 pm

I have it and really enjoyed reading it! It's the kind of book to just read a chapter at a time and give it some time to think about. (unlike what I usually do, which is speed-read or skip around to the parts of a book I'm interested in! :lol: ) Definately worth reading! :)
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Fri May 14, 2010 8:16 am

4froggies wrote:I have it and really enjoyed reading it! It's the kind of book to just read a chapter at a time and give it some time to think about. (unlike what I usually do, which is speed-read or skip around to the parts of a book I'm interested in! :lol: ) Definately worth reading! :)
That's also what I'm doing with the Charlotte Mason Companion. It's too much information to process all at once. My next goal is to tackle her actual series. I'll need some prayers for that!

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 am

LOVE this book. Also Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. And Successful Christian Parenting by John MacArthur.

My Best!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Fri May 14, 2010 3:59 pm

I just got this book too after reading about it in Karen Andreola's Charlotte Mason Companion. :lol: I'm just starting it though. What I've read so far, I really like. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have it at my bedside! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am

mrsrandolph wrote:LOVE this book. Also Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. And Successful Christian Parenting by John MacArthur.

My Best!

Love Tedd Tripp's book!! I'm also reading Gospel Powered Parenting, which is really great! I'm only a few chapters in, and it's less method of training and more goal of training ...like parent in a way that shines the gospel. It's very much worth a read or two!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling