Ordering CTC have ?'s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof4girls

Ordering CTC have ?'s

Post by momof4girls » Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 pm

My DD 11 will be in 6th grade in fall and using CTC (we are new to HOD)

1.) Language 4 or 5? How do I know which level?
2.) CTC has Write with the Best for the writing resources.....BUT
3.)When I go to the back of catalog next to DITHOR there is more writing choices @ least I think they are more! It's under B) Igniting your Writing I and Igniting your Writing II.

Do I want both of the writing programs? One for the CTC program Write with the Best and then Igniting your writing for DITHOR program?
(I plan getting all levels of DITHOR for all my DD"s levels)

Or do I just choose between the two?
Bare with me, this may be the first of many ?'s to come! Thank you!!!

Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

Kathleen

Re: Ordering CTC have ?'s

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 12, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't think I can help you much with the English question. :? How much grammar has she had?

I can help with the writing question though. You would want to order Write With the Best as it is the writing program scheduled within CTC for you to use. The other options that are listed in the catalog with DITHOR are there for those who desire to use DITHOR, need a full LA program, and are NOT using HOD. So, in addition to DITHOR they would need to add grammar (R&S reccommended) and writing to round out their LA.

If you're planning on using CTC, you have all the LA you need scheduled in the guide and will be using DITHOR as your reading/lit for your child.

Does that make sense?
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks Kathleen! Whew! I think I'm on a roll here! It's all clicking for me now! YEah!! STacey
Stacey

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Stacey,

If your child has not had much formal grammar instruction, I would begin in Level 4. However, if your child has had quite a bit of grammar and already begun diagramming basic sentences I would use Level 5 instead. CTC only schedules grammar twice weekly, so you will cover half of whichever level you choose this year and the other half of the grammar text the following year in RTR. :D

We typically recommend that kiddos try to complete English 6 by the end of grade 8, but on the other hand it is more important to choose the correct level of grammar when switching to Rod and Staff so that your child will not be overwhelmed. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks Carrie and Kathleen! I think I will start with level 4 and see how it goes, worst case scenario I end up using 5! I'm super excited to get started, especially now that the catalog and web seems to be a lot clearer to me as to how HOD works!! My girls want to start sooner than later, but I'm thinking I need time after receiving the guides to get myself acquainted with the materials! Thank you again! Bless you both! Stacey
Stacey