Re-Introduction with some ?'s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof4girls

Re-Introduction with some ?'s

Post by momof4girls » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Hello,
Not sure where to begin, so I will just dive in.... My DH and I have beautiful 4 DD's ages 3-11. Here's a little background!!! Started HSing in fall 09' we've all been enjoying this new journey, but not really enjoying the actual "curriculum". I've been lurking on this bored since last June and have really enjoyed what I learned. The curriculum and the support on this board is incredible, it's like no other! this place is so positive and such beautiful Godly women!! What a joy and blessing you all are! WOW! (I've been able to PM a few mom's and let me say what a wealth of knowledge you all were and continue to be) Unfortunately, I didn't have the courage to jump in with HOD in 09, my heart was ready, but I doubted myself completely and jumped into a virtual school. So, here we are again facing the decision of which way to go and we are getting ready to gather "curriculum" for 2010-2011 and without a doubt I'm ready to JUMP in with HOD. I will go ahead and share some about my sweet DD's.

DD 11 Klaryssa will be 6th grader (12 in FEB) I'm torn between **PHFHG and CTC **for her!!

*Pretty independent little girl (we only know textbook style learning so this is another reason why I'm torn between the two, seems like she'd fit into CTC, but just concerned about the transition to Charlotte Mason learning!)

*Math (very strong.... thank the good Lord, it's not my strength!! she scored very high on state assessments, if that means anything)

*Language/ Writing (wonderful creative little writer, strong speller, punctuation, grammer pretty good I'm sure she could use help some help, Dictation (not sure what that is, Narration I believe she did some of this in literature)
I'm not a huge help I think when it comes to correcting her papers, need something that can really walk me through.

*Reading (strong reader, she can read fast and her comprehension is excellent, I never seem to have enough books for her to read) again scored very high on stated assessments.

*science - we barely touched on in it this year, too much gathering of supplies I had no idea where to get and when we did work on it, took 2 + plus hrs to finish! *History, she studied world history 1600-1800's ? I'm thinking?? THis was considered her independent work.

*If we did PHFHG do I get the extension?
*Read alouds (I want them all, they all look so wonderful) Are they enough for my DD's reading level?
*DITHOR which level 4/5/6 or 6/7/8 (again thinking I may buy all levels they just look awesome, all my DD's would benefit as we move through HOD).
english? which level 4 or 5?

**** DD 8 Savannah will be 3rd grader (9 in Feb) I'm thinking Bigger for her!*******

*Reading- she's been reading independently for awhile now (strong little reader) , chapter books she never seems to finsh them , prefers books with some pictures etc... Comprehension has gotten better since beginning of school year!

*Writing/Language- not doing cursive yet, we have started, but not mastered. Makes complete sentences, writing stories not always complete thoughts, but almost there! Grammer, she does know her nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjective, predicates etc.. punctuation, still working on this.

*History, this is where she has mostly drawn about what she reads and then I'd have herto some narrating/summary not sure which one would fit! Did well though!!
*Dictation... not sure what that is.?
*Copywork... has done some with riddles and poems.
Math- has begun multiplication/division , she loves math, likes the manipulatives etc...

DITHOR- which level? 2/3 or 4/5/6

DD 5 Victoria LHFHG (already did LHTH and loved it, in fact we all did) not reading yet!
DD 3 Isabella LHTH

Thanks to everyone in advance for your time and thoughts on what I should do. Thank you to the ladies I've PM'd in the past!! You all have encouraged and inspired me to go at this on our own just from reading your posts!! I feel like I know all of you and yet I haven't met any of you! Pretty amazing bored!!! Not sure if I've covered everything, just thought I'd give some general information!
I'm sure I'll be back with more ?'s
Thank you, Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

creativemommy

Re: Re-Introduction with some ?'s

Post by creativemommy » Mon May 10, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions (we're not in the upper guides yet...) but wanted to say "Welcome!" The boards are so helpful & encouraging!!!! :D
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Stacey! :D

I haven't done CTC yet...and you're ahead of me with your oldest. (So take what someone who's been there says ahead of me. :wink: ) But, from your description it sounds to me like she's ready for CTC. I know that Carrie has written help for guiding your child to write a written narration in the plans. The "help" is weaned from the child so that by the end of the year they're told to write a written narration and expected to know what that means. In Preparing it's more guided the whole year, but I sure think that you could work on it in CTC if she places well there. There are lists in the appendix for what an oral narration should include and written as well. I haven't used level 4 or 5 of English yet, but I do know that R&S is advanced compared to all other programs in their coverage. HOD reccommends completing level 6 by 8th grade. So if you go with level 4, you could just plan on doing in daily with CTC (if that's the program you use) and finishing a level a year. I think you'll love HOD science :D ! We do! DITHOR...I'd go with student book 4/5 and pick books at her reading level.

Ii think Bigger sounds good for Savannah. We began there with Grant when he was 8 and it was perfect! Dictation is what HOD uses for spelling instruction. In the appendix there is a collection of passages that are numbered. (This is all explained very well there, too. :wink: ) You start with the 1st passage. Your child studies it and then gives it to you. You dictate it to them phrase by phrase. When you dictate a phrase, they repeat it back to you orally and then write it correctly. When they're ready for the next phrase you give it to them. While doing this they learn to spell words correctly, but also to capitalize and punctuate correctly. So it focuses more on writing correctly in context. If they write it perfectly, check. They're done with that passage and the next day will move on to the next passage. If not, they immediately correct their errors and circle them on the original, and then repeat this passage the next day. I'd use DITHOR 2/3 with her and use books at her reading level. (Grant - 10 - used DITHOR 2/3 this year with Preparing and read books from the 4/5 pack.) I think that would be a good intro into DITHOR for her & you.

You could do DITHOR with both of your girls on the same genre. Some of the days in the plans tell you to do "all levels together". This would save you a little teaching time, I'd think.

We're also enjoying LHTH and LHFHG here! :D

Have fun diving in to HOD!!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon May 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I can't answer all your questions, but I think Bigger sounds like a good placement for your dd, Savannah. We'll be starting this in the Fall and it sounds like she is about in the same place as my dc. Welcome to HOD. I think you will enjoy this curriculum :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't have any answers for you -- my little guy is just in LHFHG -- but I wanted to say Hi and welcome to the boards!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Wed May 12, 2010 8:47 am

Thank you for the warm greetings, along with the helpful suggestions! I will go with CTC for DD 11 and Bigger for DD 8, and combine my little DD's 3& 5 with LHTH ( I will have DD 5 do LHTH again with extra workbooks of her own?) DD 5 has some delays in speech,language and grammer. Lots of trouble with articulation etc... (working with speech therapist now twice a week) I think I'm ready to make an order after flipping through the catalog over and over to the point that it' s pretty tattered! Thank you again ladies! I'll be back with more ?'s I'm sure!

Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 12, 2010 9:08 am

I completely agree with the advice that has been given. I would also place your oldest in CTC, your middle in Bigger Hearts, and your youngest duo in LHTH. For your 5 yo, at some point in the year you could begin phonics, the K fine motor skills of "Finding the Answers/Do IT Carefully" and "A Reason for Handwriting K", and/or Earlybird Kindergarten Math from LHFHG if you wanted. However, that is not truly necessary yet, and this could be a year where you just want to focus on getting your older guides going and letting your younger ds be fully vested in his speech/language skills. We did CTC, half-speed Bigger, and half-speed LHTH last year and loved it! This board has been an encouragement to me as well. These ladies are amazing - it is a blessing to know them, and I know I'll enjoy getting to know you as well. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie