should we do Beyond at half-speed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jjdmathnut

should we do Beyond at half-speed?

Post by jjdmathnut » Sun May 09, 2010 3:14 pm

My boys (6 and 5) are finishing LHFHG; we completed it all this school year. We're excited to start Beyond in the fall. I'm wondering if we should plan to go at half-speed (technically, my 5 yo would just be in kindergarten this fall, if he were going to public school). They kept up fine in LHFHG, but I just wondered if Beyond is a lot more work/intense; we could take 2 years to do it - or would they get bored? My 5 yo isn't too good at handwriting yet, so all that copywork could frustrate him. I just don't want to rush/push, esp. if Bigger get more intense yet the following year. Any thoughts??

Dorla

Re: should we do Beyond at half-speed?

Post by Dorla » Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 am

Taking 2 years to do Beyond sounds good. Your children will not get bored, but you might get frustrated with the slow pace!
Bigger is more intense. My 7 year old was able to do it just fine, but he lacked maturity and focus for the work to be done without a fight...so we worked on Bigger at half speed.
Don't push them through the program. Whatever you decide, take it slowly and make it a joy for your kids!
Dorla

tjswaine

Re: should we do Beyond at half-speed?

Post by tjswaine » Tue May 11, 2010 5:09 am

I agree! I think many moms here recommend Bigger for 3rd grade, so taking two years to do Beyond would be a wise choice. If your younger son struggles with copywork, he could do less than your older son. I think it's more important for copywork to be done neatly and correctly, rather than struggling to copy the entire poem. Enjoy Beyond!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}