comparing maths

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

comparing maths

Post by LivinNandByHim » Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Have been considering teaching textbooks 4 for my 9 year old who did Saxon math last year in public school. He did fairly well, but would benefit from further drills with add / sub / mult / div. not sure about Singapore, seems advanced. I thought he would like the computer aspect of the teaching text. and it seemed to have thorough instruction, if not a little less advanced...... anybody familiar and can compare?

Alison in KY

Re: comparing maths

Post by Alison in KY » Fri May 07, 2010 5:52 am

I can't compare the two for you. I am using TT 5 with my son who hit a wall in MUS Gamma with his multi digit multiplication. It's also covering some subjects that MUS doesn't cover early on (or maybe ever, I'm not sure). It's a fairly painless way to do math, but it's weird not being involved and not re-learning along with him. I do plan on going back to that Gamma book and finishing it, then sticking with MUS. I'd probably use TT again if we hit another major wall. I don't think it's a bad thing to bring in another program occasionally, and kids get to hear math in a bit different language (since they all might refer to things slightly differently).

I will say that if you are using TT 5, then your kids cannot re-do a lesson if they fail it (on computer). They would have to re-do their work in their book, or you might opt to just use the book and not do the questions on the computer. This level has the full lecture, questions, and quizzes on the computer, and it grades them for you. But you also have a workbook with the same info in it. We don't use the workbook at all and do everything on the computer.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm not sure about TT, but it may be worthwhile to have ds take the free Singapore placement test anyway. It doesn't take long and is quite accurate. Maybe knowing where he placed would help you decide between TT and Singapore too? Here's a link to that placement test:
www.singaporemath.com

I can say that we are ready to do Singapore 4B next, and my ds and I are both enjoying it. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Shawna

Post by Shawna » Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 pm

I only used singapore for a short while when dd was in First grade..but my boys have been using TT for 2 years and we LOVE it...especially for when they hit the foundation year for Algebra...we have had it for 5th, 6th, (7th)Pre-Algebra and for (8th) Alg I....like I said, it was well worth it! That was becoming the longest part of my day and they were getting bored/tired of Math before we actually got the actual lesson going or they were halfway thru the lesson....this is more CM minded, as the lecture is shorter and then they can spend however long they need doing the work. Somedays we only do half, somedays we do all the problems listed...but both boys have done Exceptionally well and are grasping the concepts. Their grades were really good---they have also used, BJ, ABeka, And SAXON...this is the favorite by far in our house! DD was using R&S for 1st and will use it next year for 2nd...those are my top two picks for math curriculum by far!
Wife of 18 years to Best Friend Mike
Proud mamma to:
DS16~ Fast becoming a Young Man of God-most Responsible teen I know- Tech dude
DS13~ aka The Professor--Resident LEGO engineer-movie maker
DD9~Ballet dancer..Little Mother Hen---my artist

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Wed May 12, 2010 4:36 am

We use TT also and love it! My daughter really benefits from the visual aspect and the constant review. (Each day the problems include both concepts from the current lesson and review from previous lessons.) We switched from MUS and it is just a better fit for her. HTH! :)
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed May 12, 2010 8:15 am

I have read that TT should only be used if you are supplementing or if your child is incapable of doing a program that presents the material with more difficult problem sets.

I personally find Singapore very intimidating. We started out with Abeka and when I realized that DD wasn't understanding some concepts I started supplementing with Math Mammoth. I have now switched her to Math Mammoth alone. Math Mammoth is like Singapore written for homeschooling. It uses worktexts; everything is in one book and the students can read the explanations. It breaks things down into small steps. It is really working well for us.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am

Quick ? what is TT math? I'm trying to figure out which math would suit us best! DD 11 will be in the 6th grade. and we are new to HSing on our own, just thought I'd look at that option too! Thanks, Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 am

It's Teaching Textbooks.