More questions:)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

More questions:)

Post by LeAnna » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 am

I would like to use LHFHG this next fall, and would like to use my own phonics-- SL language arts/reading. They use Explode the Code books. Does anyone know if I go through the first set of books (A,B and C) if my kids will be ready for the Emerging reader set of books for 1st grade? I am kind of stuck on what to use for phonics.
Also, for the Music section in the instructors manual, is it just songs from Hide Em in Your Heart or do the kids explore other areas of music?
Thanks!
:D LeAnna

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 pm

I've never used Explode the Code, but maybe it would be helpful if you went to the local library and previewed some of the Emerging Readers-many are available at the libray, the I Can Read series. Here is the list:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php

I'm not sure, but from what I saw of Explode the Code, I think you will need more phonics than the A, B, and C books before your child can tackle the Emerging Reader set. I'm sure someone else will come along and hopefully be more help!

As for music, I think it is just the Hide'em CD, but you'll surely have enough time in your day to add more music if you like-I'm a singer and try to pass my love of music to my kiddos :D

Sorry-I had posted the wrong link-I added the right one!
Last edited by blessedmomof4 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

shera

Post by shera » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:48 pm

IF you are referring to the primer ETC books (Get ready, Get set and Go for the code books) you definitely need more phonics. If you are referring to books 1,2 and 3 then probably not depending on how much reading you let your child do. My ds is doing book 4 now as well as the HOP workbook and readers. I am pretty confident he can do the emerging readers now. My thought is to continue having my ds use the ETC books because I figure it will help with spelling and it doesn't take too much time in the day.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:49 pm

You'll probably need to go through A B and C and then 1 - 3ish?? The emerging readers are more like late 1st - 2nd grade level. Some are even 3rd.

I used ETC through book 1 1/2 and we switched to something else. They are good, just not for us, but you'll have to go through quite a few to be ready for the emerging readers set.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Re-check my first reply-I had the wrong link before, now it's the right one :shock: Sorry about that!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Melanie, do you mind sharing what you used after you stopped ETC? My daughter has done A,B,&C and part of 1. Now I'm wondering what to do with her since she still needs to continue but doesn't really care for ETC.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Sure! We started Phonics Pathways and it is a very thorough phonics/spelling program. We use it for reading, copywork and dictation. I think we'll be ready for the emerging readers about half-way through the book. It has pretty much every spelling rule covered, so we won't get to some of the harder ones for a few years. It covers prefixes, suffixes, homonyms....rules about spelling that I didn't even know. Our page for tomorrow covers when to use -ch or -tch. We won't get the rule down pat on this go around, but just learn to read the sound. There are instruction pages in the back that explain how this book can be used for many years.

I've not seen The Reading Lesson, but I'm thinking it is set up in a similar style? I think First Reader is also set up this way. The spelling list in Beyond and Bigger are also set up to practice words that follow a certain rule, and then use copywork and dictation.

HTH, Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks, that does help.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH