What do you like about Singapore Math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

What do you like about Singapore Math?

Post by 4froggies » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 pm

For those of you using Singapore math with HOD's scheduled hands-on lessons, what do you like about it? We started 1st grade with it, but after doing Abeka, dd was NOT liking math anymore (she loves Abeka's cute, colorful worksheets). Since math had been her favorite subject, we went back to Abeka. (We were not using HOD's scheduled hands-on lessons, since we are in LHFHG and were doing Singapore 1A, so that could have had something to do with it) However, I am noticing that she is not really grasping the "why" of math, which is important especially as we are getting into more difficult math. She is very good at math and it comes easily to her- but Abeka is more about the practice, practice, practice rather than the reason behind what they are doing.

So now I am wondering if we should try Singapore again, but get the Bigger manual so we will have the HOD hands-on lessons that go with it? What do you think? Thanks! :D
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Kathleen

Re: What do you like about Singapore Math?

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 pm

I really like that Singapore math does teach my kids the "why" behind what they're doing in math. We love the fun hands-on activities that Carrie has planned in the guide! :D My other favorite thing about it is that we're accomplishing math in a timely manner daily. For my oldest, it takes 20-30 min per day (usually closer to 20) and less than that with Allison.

I switched to Singapore with my oldest when he was starting Bigger and in 3rd grade. He started with level 2A. Now I've also started from the beginning with Allison in LHFHG this year. (So I haven't done all the levels...but several of them now.) Maybe you want to check that you're starting on the right level with her, too. We switched from Saxon, and after Grant had completed their 2nd grade math and done very well with it...he placed into level 2A/B with Singapore. The word problems in Singapore, especially, require much more thought than other math curriculums I've seen. There are fewer problems, but the child will really have to think to do them. I prefer this way of doing math, but it will take a child a bit to get into it and get used to having to think. So, just because your daughter is ready to begin 2nd grade with Abeka would not necessarily mean that she's ready for 2A in Singapore. That may have had an effect on how much she enjoyed it.

Here's a thread where Carrie shares why HOD chose to use Singapore math in their guides... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112 You already know though that if your family prefers something else that HOD most definitely works just fine with that. I know I was glad that I gave it a try for my family! :D So, you could always give it a go once more and see if it worked before going back to Abeka.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 am

One of the things I like about Singapore math is the way it teaches dc to think mathematically. It is strong on teaching the concepts and not big on drill and kill. For example, one of things that Singapore taught this year (2A and 2B) was how to add or subtract quickly in your head when you are adding or subtracting numbers close to 100 or any multiple of 100. I thought it was great that they teach this. It is something that I normally do. So instead of teaching "estimating" as a formal topic, they teach this quick and easy way to add and subtract in your head which involves estimating and then correcting the final answer to accommodate the estimation you made at first. I'm not for sure if the way I'm explaining it make sense, sorry. The point is they really focus of mental math, understanding and using concepts.

I really like the way Singapore math does things however I am a very visual person and I didn't like the lack of color and the layout of the Singapore workbooks. So instead I've used the textbooks as workbooks for my dc. It has less practice in it, so I've supplemented with other colorful worksheets from The Complete Book of Math when it seemed necessary. I've used the hands on activities in Beyond and many of the ones in Bigger as well. I think all of the hands on activities really cement the information in my dc's heads.

I had a wonderful confirmation that Singapore is a good match for my dc after our yearly, state-mandated testing. Both my dd and ds did well on the test in mathematics, but my ds blew the tester out of the water with his higher level problem solving skills. The tester recommended Singapore math to me to feed his thirst for problem solving not knowing that was what I was already using. It was nice to hear that is what she would recommend for him. It was also nice to see that it was working well for my dd as well whose main gift is not in mathematics.

If you do decide to give Singapore another try, make sure to place your dd correctly and try using the hands on activities. I think you'll find it much more to your liking that way.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

lovedtodeath

Post by lovedtodeath » Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am

We used Abeka for 1st grade and we are now using Math Mammoth. Math Mammoth is very similar to Singapore Math but unlike SM it is written for homeschoolers. We will use the Bigger Hands On lessons next year along with our MM schedule.
Carmen, teaching Jake 3 and Emily 8
Third grade coming up:
HOD Bigger, Phonics Road 2, Math Mammoth.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/index.html