What do you like about Singapore Math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

What do you like about Singapore Math?

Post by 4froggies » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

For those of you using Singapore math with HOD's scheduled hands-on lessons, what do you like (or dislike) about it? We started 1st grade with it, but after doing Abeka, dd was NOT liking math anymore (she loves Abeka's cute, colorful worksheets). Since math had been her favorite subject, we went back to Abeka. (We were not using HOD's scheduled hands-on lessons, since we are in LHFHG and were doing Singapore 1A, so that could have had something to do with it) However, I am noticing that she is not really grasping the "why" of math, which is important especially as we are getting into more difficult math. She is very good at math and it comes easily to her- but Abeka is more about the practice, practice, practice rather than the reason behind what they are doing.

So now I am wondering if we should try Singapore again, but get the Bigger manual so we will have the HOD hands-on lessons that go with it? What do you think? Thanks! :D
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

gmhaynes

Re: What do you like about Singapore Math?

Post by gmhaynes » Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 am

I am struggling with the same decision. I think Singapore is comprehensive enough but I like the presentation of other programs of similar quality. Curious to hear what others think....

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 am

I think the hands-on lessons Carrie has written for Singapore are incredibly helpful and make all the difference when using this math!!!

I switched my son from MUS to Singapore in January. I bought the Home Instructor's Guide for Singapore 1B hoping it would help me because I didn't want to have to pay for the Beyond guide at that time (big mistake). Long story short - I ended up ordering 1A (for him to review his facts) and then at the convention a few weeks ago purchased Beyond and now have the lessons to go with it. I feel like we're finally making good progress. It's been a big difference for my son! He enjoyed Singapore's pages (compared to MUS non-pictures, Singapore is "fun" for him) but now asks what activity we're going to do with math each day. He especially likes the ones that involve chocolate chips! :wink:

I learned my lesson and now my younger two will stick with Singapore & Carrie's fun activities since we will have the guides for them already!!!! In fact, I also have the Bigger guide sitting on my shelf with the workbooks for 2A & B whenever my son is ready for those at some point this next school year. :D
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 05, 2010 12:53 pm

I think this question was somehow posted twice. Here's the other one with more responses... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6229

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Wed May 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks, Kathleen :D .... not sure how that happened! Thanks to everyone for their responses. It gives me some good things to think about. I think dd was placed well, but Carrie's hands-on activities were probably the missing piece for us. Thanks again!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!