Is Singapore Math meant to be used a grade behind?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Allison TX

Is Singapore Math meant to be used a grade behind?

Post by Allison TX » Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

My daughter, now 7, used Singapore 1A for the first semester of 1st grade. When we got to 1B, she had a really hard time. Even with the hands on activities in the Beyond guide. We didn't make it too far into 1B before we shelved it for a while.

I've gone backwards, and am now having her finish up Earlybird 2B, and she loves it and is doing great! My thought was to try 1B again in the fall when we start Beyond and see how she does. However, my husband thinks it would be better for her to start with 1A, and do that book again, then go into 1B. Basically following the Beyond guide for math. I am worried (I know I'm being silly :oops: ) that she will be "behind". My husband thinks it will be better because she will be more developmentally ready for the concepts, and I'll be working out of one guide instead of two. What do you all think? Does anyone use Singapore a grade level behind?

And as long as I'm posting, I have another question. :)
Should we begin R&S 2 grammar with Beyond, because she will be in 2nd grade? Or just do the grammar ex. in Beyond, and save R&S 2 for third grade?

Thanks y'all!

Allison

Tabrett

Re: Is Singapore Math meant to be used a grade behind?

Post by Tabrett » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi,
This is how Singapore math is done age wise in Singapore. The school year starts in January (not the fall like here). All students who will turn 7 that year enter first grade. So, most of the dc are 6 when they start first grade. Singapore does not have age cut off like we do. Children in Singapore do 1A and 1B the year they turn seven. It is suggested on the Singapore web site that the average 1st grader should START Singapore 1A the second semester of 1st grade. That puts your dc in the same "age" range as the Singapore students (because, unless your dc has a late b-day you dc will turn seven the year after they start first grade).

http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Guide_s/85.htm

Also, the Primary Math Standards Edition introduces math concepts earler than the Primary Math US Edition. Which edition did you use? You could always try the other edition.

Just a side note. The EarlyBird K math was written for USA. There is not a k in Singapore and so therefore no k math program. Singapore starts with 1A. I don't know what they learn in preschool.

So....if your dc turned 7 this year and you do 1B in the fall, you would be on the same schedule as dc in Singapore. Right on time, not behind!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 pm

You've already got some good things to ponder from the pp - thanks for sharing that. :D Singapore is typically considered by most to be about a year advanced. I think every child is different and there is no use fast-forwarding to a certain grade level just for number's sake. The placement test is very accurate, so I'd just give her the placement test, and whatever it says she should start with, I'd start with that. Math is an easy thing to "catch up on later" if you are wanting to do so. For example, it can be done year round, or since HOD's guides beginning with PHFHG are 4 day plans, you can just always do math on the fifth day. Here is a link to the placement test:
www.singaporemath.com

Also, I think it is extremely beneficial to do all of the HOD hands-on math plans along with Singapore up through 2B. This just seems to cement skills for our dc. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm

I just wanted to address the grammar question. I've looked through the whole Beyond manual and think what it has for grammar is totally sufficient for a 2nd grader, then you could do R&S 2 in third where it's scheduled in Bigger. You can see here the typical course study for 2nd grade English and Beyond covers much more than that when it comes to actual grammar. HTH! :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Thank you all for your help. I feel more comfortable about using Singapore 1a again, and with waiting a year on Rod and Staff for grammar. :)