Am I concerned for nothing? R & S?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Am I concerned for nothing? R & S?

Post by John'smom » Mon May 03, 2010 10:26 am

This year I'm combining my dc in Beyond. My dd will be in 1st. If things go as planned, I will continue to combine them. That puts dd in Bigger in 2nd grade. Would it be okay to have her not start R&S English 2 until she were in 3rd grade and doing Preparing? We currently do Spell to Write and Read and they have grammar incorporated and suggest adding in extra grammar in 3rd or 4th. I just personally would prefer to hold off for extra grammar until 3rd grade. Will this somehow mess up future HOD manuals by my doing this? I know things may change, but just want to know if I'm going to somehow mess something up. :oops:
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Re: Am I concerned for nothing? R & S?

Post by my3sons » Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 am

Academically, I don't think that would mess anything up at all. :D For ease of use, you wouldn't have the schedule for it in the current guide you were using, but then you'd have the previous manual to look at for scheduling purposes if you wanted. It's pretty much a lesson a day in R & S 2 anyway, so not that hard, but for the half-speed levels, it may be nice to refer to the plans for those. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about by holding off to do R & S 2 in Grade 3 along with PHFHG. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

It does help, Julie! :) Thanks for the response. I was just worried that maybe I was somehow going to mess it up. I didn't think it was necessarily tied into a certain guide. Again, thank you.
Edwena

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 pm

A friend of mine who has used R & S for years does not start her kids in grammar until third grade, and at that point does R & S English 3. We are doing Beyond for 2nd grade in the fall, and that is what I intend to do. I think the grammar in Beyond will be perfect for her next year, and then we will move on to English 3 (skipping 2). Just an option. R & S is very "spiral", so it is not hard to jump in. HTH! :D
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 am

4froggies, thanks so much for your input as well.

I just wanted to add that I'm fine with the extra Grammar that Beyond adds in because it is so gentle. I just don't want to hit a full grammar course until 3rd grade. I just wanted to clarify so I didn't sound like I was saying something bad about HOD. :D
Edwena