Combining and Kindergarten

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Combining and Kindergarten

Post by Marsha » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:37 pm

OK...
I will have 2 in CTC and 2 in Bigger Hearts(a 9 and 7 year old).
I will also have a K and 2 and 8 month old.
What do I do with the K'er?
Should I let her tag along with Bigger, just read books to her, or do Little Hearts?
She already has her Math and LA.

Thank you
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

4froggies

Re: Combining and Kindergarten

Post by 4froggies » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 pm

How about doing LHFHG at half-speed? Since she already has her Math and LA, you could just do the first half of it for K, then the second half for 1st. I think this would work beautifully, as the first half is Ancient History (bible) and the second half is world/ mostly American history. Also, the readings the second half are, in my opinion, more challenging.

Since you are already doing two guides, this might be a good option! :) You could do the left side one day, then the right side the next. Or, do it with her every other day.
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

my3sons

Re: Combining and Kindergarten

Post by my3sons » Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 am

I like the LHFHG half-speed idea too. She could listen in on the BHFHG Storytime too. I think it's easier to do this and have her be done in about 45 minutes each day, than to have her listening in on 3+ hours of Bigger. Plus, she can play with your little Rachel and Abigail then while you finish homeschooling the olders. You'll probably want to do phonics with her daily though, as we found we had to do this for better retention. Otherwise, we did half-speed LHFHG for a long time (almost 2 years) and loved that pace. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie