new to the board!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof2n2

new to the board!

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:33 am

Hello,

We have been using Beyond LHFHG since August for my 7 y.o./second
graders.

I use MUS for math, as that is what we were doing before, and First Lang. Lessons for Language arts, for the same reason.

I have been praying about next year, as my second child will be starting first grade. I also have a 3 and almost 2 y.o.

One thing I am trying to figure out is the reading portion/storytime.

We LOVE storytime and it is the best part of the program for my family. I have never read such wonderful books and we love the tie ins! It is wonderful. For the reading portion I have been giving him the books suggested for emerging readers. He reads each one in about 15 minutes. Not over the 5 days or so that is suggested! I end up supplementing with a LOT of other books to basically keep him busy while I teach the 5 year old how to read.

So I am wondering how does the DITHOR work in the "reading" slot? I DO want more challenging books for him, I do NOT want more work for mommy. Not that mommy is a sluggard!!! But mommy will have to do first grade with second son next year and I already feel like my girls are so ignored! :(

Adding the DITHOR for reading will not take away from the Storytime portion, will it?

I am considering doing LHFHG for my first grade son next year and BeyondLHFHG for the third grader.... will this be too much work? I am trying to wait for God to just tell me what to do. ;)

On one hand, I know finding a curriculum, [say Weaver] that you can teach Bible-based to mulitple levels is more desirable on paper than having different curriculums for each child. BUT I hear Weaver needs a lot of planning. Wouldn't I be better off letting Mrs. Austin do the planning :D and yes, I have a bit more work in execution??

FYI - I am in NYS and Kindergarten is not mandatory. This year I have only concentrated on Reading/Writing/Math for second son.

PHEW - if you read all that and it still makes sense, THANK YOU!
I look forward to hearing anyone's opinions. Especially your experiences!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:01 am

I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to say welcome! :D We're very glad to have you here!!

I know someone will come along shortly who will give you some wonderful answers.....I've just never used Drawn, but look forward to it in a few years. :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:09 am

Like Melanie, I don't have an answer. Just wanted to say Welcome!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 am

momof2n2,

We're so glad that you're here! It's great that you are enjoying "Beyond..." with your kiddos. :D It sounds like you have good plan to do LHFHG with your K-er and "Bigger..." with your third grader. I am doing that this year with my own kiddos and it's working great. :wink: After "Beyond..." your older guy should be ready to move right in to "Bigger....".

As far as your older son and the Emerging Reader Set, first of all... Hooray !! (that he is reading well enough to be able to consume books.) :D That is a happy day for a mom! Secondly, you're ready for a "new stage" of reading for him. That is where you encourage slow, steady, thoughtful reading of "school-books", and you reserve speed reading for "non-school" books and free-time reading.

The differences in the two types of reading are explained in this previous thread:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=411

Next, I'll just point you to a previous thread on how "Bigger..." and "Drawn into the Heart..." work together, since that's where you're headed. Here's the link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=411 :D

I know other moms will pop in here to encourage you about using more than one HOD program. There are many moms doing more than one of our programs successfully.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. The moms on the board love to help! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:23 am

momof2n2,

Just wanted to welcome you here!

Candice

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 am

Hi there! If I understand correctly-DITHOR will replace the emerging readers, but will not replace storytime at all! Also, it doesn't take a whole lot of time at the 2/3 level. It won't make your day very long. Storytime books are to be read to the child by you. Emerging readers and DITHOR books are to be read by the child.

That said, I make my 3rd grader read her emerging readers slowly-it is important to let her learn to savor each book and learn to analyze-I always ask her the questions in the appendix after each daily reading assignment, and it has been of great benefit-it makes her think about what she's reading. She CAN read her books faster, I just don't let her. She has to read each portion aloud to me, which is what's directed in the appendix. Now, on her own, I let her read whatever books she likes, as fast as she pleases, but for reading instruction, we take our time. She is a very good reader, but not ready to handle the extra written work in DITHOR 2/3.

If you'd really like to move on to DITHOR, check out the book lists and see if your child is ready to study literature at this level.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

Along the same lines, I started my 4th grader in level 2/3 of DITHOR this year, since she had never done any literature study, and I wanted to ease her into it. She is reading just at level. If she makes any huge gains in her reading in the next 6 months, I'll move her up to 4/5 as a 5th grader. If not, she'll repeat 2/3 with different books.

My 3rd grader will do 2/3 next fall as a 4th grader, unless she makes big enough gains in writing-she is quickly becoming an advanced reader, but I know would not be ready at this point for the level 4/5 written work.

I think Carrie has said that you should teach literature a bit below the child's actual reading level, I guess so they can focus on the literature study and not on working to figure out words or understand challenging storylines. She'll come along, I'm sure, and correct me if I'm wrong!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:42 pm

I just wanted to say "hi" and "welcome"!

This board is full of wonderful, helpful women. Enjoy!
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/