Organizing HoD literature that you're not currently using

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
birchbark

Organizing HoD literature that you're not currently using

Post by birchbark » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 pm

One of the reasons I have chosen HoD is to build a quality home library. I am delighted to report that it is happening quickly! I recently brought home my second year of books, plus I have purchased an additional book pack we didn't "need." :wink:

I am one who needs to hide the books until we use them for school. :D After we're done with them, I put them on the bookshelves to be read whenever DS would like. So I am looking for good ways to keep them organized for future HoD students. I like the idea of color-coding. Does anyone do this? Where is a good place to get colored labels? I am also thinking about using LibraryThing.

Another thing I was wondering is how you keep your other children from reading them too early, if you leave them accessible like that. :) If anyone knows of older threads with other ideas, please link them. Thanks!
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

eazbnsmom

Re: Organizing HoD literature that you're not currently using

Post by eazbnsmom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 am

I do color coding and by subject. I have all my history together, science etc. Our fiction is on a shelf alphabetically by author and I have color coded labels on the lower spine. Since I couldn't find the colors I wanted (at Walmart) my dd suggested that I just get white and color them in so that is what I did. I have red for LHFHG, Royal Blue for BLHFHG, Yellow for BHFHG, Light Blue for Preparing, Brown for CTC, Forest Green for RTR & bright green for DITHOR.

I haven't had to much of a problem with my kids reading ahead, I did explain the color coded system to them and made them aware that if they had not already gone the manual (or were up to the book in the current manual) that they were not to read those books.

Here is also a link to a similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4719&start=0&st=0&s ... zing+books

HTH
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

We too have to put the books away, or they get read too early - they're just that good! :D I like it though - it makes them so special. We started a personal library thing that I asked for help on awhile back - this may be helpful to you too...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4719&p=34616

We're still in the process of labeling the books, but my oldest ds is attacking it with gusto! :lol: For the HOD books, I think I am going to have a special color and label it with the guide it's in. I haven't gotten that far yet. :wink: For now, our dc are several HOD guides apart. So, when one finishes a book, he can take it to his room and enjoy it many times over. After awhile, I put it away in the HOD tubs for the next son. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:17 am

I never threw the boxes my books came in away, I found that they fit back into that box when I am done with them.
I also have a School shelf that the kids are not allowed to get into. Reading books and such reside there till they are needed.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 am

We do use a color coding system for the spines of our books. I have found round color stickers at our dollar store and at WalMart. They generally have 3 or 4 colors in a pack. Though you could easily just get mailing labels and have the kids color them in in the colors you want.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH