workboxes/blogs?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stampalot

workboxes/blogs?

Post by stampalot » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi friends,

Is there a link to this post already? I'd like to see photos of those who use workboxes , thanks, Lisa :

Catherine

Re: workboxes/blogs?

Post by Catherine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Lisa,

I haven't begun using workboxes yet. I plan to when I officially start. I have a post on my blog about workboxes though and I have pictures of other people's systems. Maybe you can find some inspiration there.

http://priority1mail.blogspot.com/2010/ ... oling.html

~Catherine :)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm

I use workboxes and we love them! I don't usually blog about them, but here is the initial post I did when we first started using them.
http://cherish-each-moment.blogspot.com ... boxes.html
If you have any questions about how we use them I'll be happy to answer them.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

annaz

Post by annaz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am

Here's a ton: Workbox blog roll...
http://sunflowerschoolhouse.com/workbox-blogroll/
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

pamh

Post by pamh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am

In February, I went to Sue Patricks, Workbox conference and it was more than I expected! One key note that she kept stressing was to ONLY use clear, see thru boxes. She it was for psychological reasons that kept the student motivated. Many moms that were there said their college student uses these concepts in college after being homeschooled. Sue also has a wonderful book teaching about workboxes as well as other ideas to enhance your current curriculum (wonderful, wonderful ideas!!!!). If Sue is ever in your area, go to her (free) conference!! You won't regret it! Oh yeah, she said you don't have to use 12 boxes but if you wanted to you could put a game in one to break up your day and she uses one for kids that states "running." She makes her kids run daily. Sue created this system just to get her thru the day when her kids were toddlers and used at church as well.

Blessings,
Pam

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 pm

I actually LOVE this idea. I wasn't sure how to work it with HOD being that everything came from the same book. But I figured it out by looking at the links posted above. Since we already use "milk" crates that I bought from Walmart I just added some file folders and separated everything out into each folder. It makes things look nicer and more organized. All of us were getting a little overwhelmed with the pile of stuff in the crates.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:49 pm

We have changed some things since I posted this, but here is a thread on this board where I posted my workboxes last fall. They have been a GODSEND!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4379&hilit=workboxes
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 am

I really love this idea! I've been thinking about doing something similar, but hadn't thought it through this much. I LOVE the way it's presented on this blog: http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com ... boxes.html, especially since I too will have 4 kids pretty soon. I also love the idea of putting a snack or game of some sort in their boxes randomly for fun. What great ideas!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:06 pm

A friend who blogs (but doesn't use HOD) has lots of posts about workboxes. You can find it here. If you continue to scroll through the posts, and hit older entries at the bottom, she'll have several ideas, including set-up and links to other blogs. Hope that makes sense.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

MamaPajama

Post by MamaPajama » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

John'smom wrote:A friend who blogs (but doesn't use HOD) has lots of posts about workboxes. You can find it here. If you continue to scroll through the posts, and hit older entries at the bottom, she'll have several ideas, including set-up and links to other blogs. Hope that makes sense.
Wow! She seems like Supermom! I wanna live at her house. :D

P.S. I love the I Spy bottle she made with her preschooler. My daughter would LOVE that.

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am

There are also yahoo groups that have great workbox ideas.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

stampalot

Post by stampalot » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi,
Sorry about that guys, I wasn't specific enough in my first post.
we are workboxers; but I wanted to see others using Heart of Dakota in action :
My request was more of a specific visual using HOD rather than the initial set up; but it's all good.

My HOD workbox ideas:
I know we will use a rainbow theme for our HOD workboxes. (probably rainbow paper with numbers on them)
I'm using magnet numbers to put on our fridge for change. I think the kids like the idea of magnet numbers.(haven't seen this idea online...yet;)

Blessedsimplicitymom

Post by Blessedsimplicitymom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm

I looked in to workboxes and loved the idea, but with 4 kids it was too much for me. So we did work binders, and I am able to put everything they need in their binders for HOD, so all they have to grab off the shelf is their binder and I get the books I need and we can get started. I'm working on seperating the dividers out into "work box" sections. I love this, because there's no more searching for pencil boxes or different books, etc. And as an added bonus, they can use their binders for a lap desk when we're doing school outside or on the couch. I'm finding the older the child, the bigger the binder is needed. It seems to be a good fit for us.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:31 pm

This past thread may be of some help to you as you ponder too. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4074

Blessings,
Carrie