After The Reading Lesson

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom4Him

After The Reading Lesson

Post by Mom4Him » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 am

Good morning!
My girls are finishing Unit 17 in The Reading Lesson this week & should be done with all the lessons (20) by the end of May. :D :D
What do I do with them at that point?? We are taking a break for the summer & will start HOD back up in the Fall (or August) with LHFHG. So, what do I do so that they do not forget everything they have just learned? Also, will they really be ready for the Emergent readers in the fall? Has anyone else started the Emergent readers when their children were in Kindergarten? Do the Emergent Readers take about a year to go through... so then my girls would start DITHOR for first grade? That seems so young to me...although I know they will learn a lot in the next year and a half. :wink: I am planning on going through both Bibles to stretch it out a bit. Maybe I should go through the Early Readers Bible with them over the Summer...or should I do other things & start that in the Fall? Any comments/suggestions would be great!
(Sorry for all of the questions in a row! :wink: )
Have a wonderful day!
Jessica

HappyMama

Re: After The Reading Lesson

Post by HappyMama » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am

My older son is also on Lesson 17 and set to finish TRL in May. :) I plan on dong just what you mentioned...having him read the Early Reader's Bible this summer (and probably some other easy level 2 readers as well) and then begin the Emerging Readers this fall starting with the other, more difficult bible. HTH! :)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 am

I would start with the emerging readers over the Summer so they do not forget. I try to keep reading going over breaks anyway for that reason. I would just make it fun and keep going. You are going to find that after TRL they will be perfectly ready for the emerging readers. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 am

My dd finished TRL halfway through this school year and I had her start straight-away into the Emerging Readers. She was more than excited to be reading "real" books like her big brother (who is just finishing up the ER set).
While we follow the ER schedule for our school time she reads whatever she chooses during her free time.
I think your idea of doing the Early Readers Bible with your girls over the summer as a "formal" reading time is a great idea. Then just have lots of books around for them to enjoy when they want to. :)
If you find them eager to progress you can always do the next book in the ER set. It's a very easy and fun progression.

My dd is about the same age as your girls and I am concerned about starting DITHOR with her before she is ready. Right now I want her to really build her confidence in the act of reading and comprehension. My thinking is to keep her reading good books and discussing them with her and then when her reading/thinking/writing skills all gel at an acceptable level then we'll do DITHOR. (I am staring that program with my son this summer and then my dd will probably be ready for it by late fall/winter time - at least that's my guess :lol: )

It's so fun to watch our children learn to read isn't it?! Teaching reading was one of my biggest fears when we started homeschooling but The Reading Lesson has been a great program that took that fear away! :D
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

pamh

Post by pamh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 am

For my son (we use Abeka for reading due to the constant phonic review which are included in their emerging readers that really helps my son) even we are on "break", we never stop reading and phonics review. I figure it's just like anything else he wants to be good at, he must practice. However, so he doesn't feel like he's setting down to "work" we break it up in 3 sessions through out the day instead of doing one long session.

Now my 4 yr old is begging to read because he sees his brother reading and he's wanting to be just like his bigger bro., which is so neat to see!

Blessings,
Pam

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 am

My son is doing Kindergarten for 2yrs. we stretched LHFHG out. He turned 6 in October. We did about 2 months of early readers from library btwn Teach Your Child to Read in 100 easy Lessons and the Emerging Readers. My son is n Unit 25 or 26 of LHFHG . We started the Emerging readers in January so we will have about 9 units left when we start in the fall with Beyond unless we continue to do just the Emerging Readers btwn the two guides. Haven't decided yet. My son was ready to read and you can easily move your child up a level in reading without it affecting the rest of the HOD plans.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 pm

I used the Emergent Readers for my dd's K year, and then for 1st grade, I just chose books for her to read and we discussed them or had her narrate and did occasional vocab work. I didn't want her getting too heavily into analysis just yet in 1st grade. And I thought I wanted her to be able to read and keep it a little more casual and fun. We started DITHOR in 2nd grade, and it's been a good fit! We did the Level 2/3 workbook, even though ability-wise, she is Level 4/5 (so she's read several 4/5 books, too). But as far as "analysis level", 2/3 is right on. You can certainly work it in a way that fits your family!

So, for what it's worth, that's how we did it and it's worked well!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi Jessica!

We're in exactly the same place as you, too. Allison will finish The Reading Lesson in May...and I was thinking that I'd have her start the Early Reader's Bible and do it 3-4 days a week through the summer and then do the Beginner's Bible and move on with the rest of the set through the next school year. After that I thought I'd maybe give Julie's idea a try of doing DITHOR half-speed. She's having Riley read the same book for 30 days so that the readings are shorter. So on one day she has him just read out loud to her, and then the next day he reads and they go through the lesson in DITHOR. I think that would be a pretty non-intimidating way to move into DITHOR.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 am

We will finish TRL next week and move on to the Early Reader's Bible and maybe a few of the supplemental titles in the appendix for the Emerging Readers. Then we'll do the Emerging Readers Set with the Beginner's Bible.

I plan to use all the Emerging Reader titles for school reading. Do you ladies have any suggestions for great early reading books for my sons to use during their "free reading time"?

Thanks.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank-you!! It is fun to hear of others that are in the same situation we are in (or have been there)!! :D
So, it seems like it would be good to do The Early Readers Bible over the summer & then start the Emerging Readers in the fall when we start LHFHG. :D
Do the Emerging Readers take a year to go through??
Has anyone spread that out a bit longer?
Thank-you!
Jessica