Does this sound crazy?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Does this sound crazy?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Okay, so I had decided to start LHFHG with my DS6 in K for the end of his K year and carry over into most of 1st. But, I have only been able to do the 3R's with him for a multitude of reasons-- maybe a blessing in disguise. (One being I don't have a LHFHG guide right now!) Had I been able to start it a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be in this predicament!

Over the last few weeks after making that decision, I feel he's progressed enough he will likely be ready for Beyond. He's ready for 1st grade math now. Instead of a handwriting program, I've been encouraging him to draw and trace. He's just not been ready for a real program, although he knows how to write letters, it's difficult for him to do it well. So for 1st, I'll use a K handwriting program. And 2nd, either 1st grade hw or copywork if he's ready. He is able to listen to DD8's BIGGER stories and enjoy them, but could use some more on his level to help him develop listening, comprehension, and narration skills.

Sooo....this is where my question comes in. Does this sound crazy?...this is for 1st gr (6-7yo), then 2nd gr (7-8yo). (Birthday is in Dec. shortly after starting the school year)
1st grade: BLHFHG 1/2 speed, Spelling List 1, LHFHG Storytime and K Handwriting full speed
2nd grade: 2nd half BLHFHG 1/2 speed, Spelling List 2, Beyond Storytime full speed, and 1st Handwrting or poetry copywork.
3rd grade: Bigger full speed as is

I'll tell you where he places on the placement chart for you to help me think through this! I know how important placement is to using HOD, and my time each day for school is limited, and I think Beyond half speed will take less time than LHFHG full speed. Right?? So, I can't decide about taking the above route, or just starting him in LHFHG as soon as I can get a guide again (likely in May so I'd start just a bit here and there, so really start in July or Aug for 1st).

Reading: More than ready for phonics (LH) , but not finishing phonics (BLH)-- almost halfway through RME and doing well.
Writing: (LH)
Grammar, Mech, Usage: (BLH)
Math: (BLH)

What say ye? :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Does this sound crazy?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Does this sound crazy?
I guess it does! :lol: Does it make sense at all? Am I at least on the right track?
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't think your idea sounds crazy! :D But, I would suggest maybe you reconsider using LHFHG for 1st grade. That's what we did with my dd this year for first grade, and it has been a great year!

At the beginning of the year, dd was continuing phonics beginning to read, and needed more practice writing lowercase letters. One reason I went with LHFHG for her was that she also needed practice listening and comprehending. The Burgess books have been great for this! We are doing 1st grade math and the Reason for Handwriting A, which has been great. She's learned so much this year! And because it has been at a comfortable level for her, her school day has been very enjoyable and doesn't take too much time.

Anyways, just a plug for LHFHG. Also, I know alot of people enjoy going half-speed, but I'm worried I might be antsy doing the same guide for two years and ready to switch to something new after one year. Although, I love HOD so much, so maybe not... :D

Whatever decision you make, LHFHG or Beyond, I'm sure you'll have a great 1st grade experience! I know we have!

Beth
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:21 pm

4froggies wrote:I don't think your idea sounds crazy! :D
Whew!! :D
Also, I know alot of people enjoy going half-speed, but I'm worried I might be antsy doing the same guide for two years and ready to switch to something new after one year. Although, I love HOD so much, so maybe not... :D

Beth
Very good point about getting antsy...that would be me, :oops: Made me thinnk a little more about the fact I just did Beyond and now Bigger with DD and I'm enjoying it so very much, but I'm going to be plenty ready to move on from American History...not do 3 more years of it in a row!! (2 w/Beyond and 1 w/Bigger :!: )

Certainly something to consider.

Since he hasn't really done HOD exactly, I just want to make sure I place him right. I have no issue doing LHFHG for 1st-- IF that's where he places best. Decisions, decisions...
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:49 pm

No, that doesn't sound crazy to me! :D Well, doing LHFHG would take you about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half a day - and doing the Beyond half-speed plan for 2 years would take you around an hour to an hour and 15 minutes a day to do. I don't know that the time needed would work out to be that different between the 2 decisions. The drawbacks to doing Beyond half-speed would be he'd miss LHFHG, which is a great 1 year sweep of history. Also, I do wonder if he actually might take less time to do LHFHG than Beyond because it would be easier for him to do, whereas Beyond would be harder. Finally, you may really like teaching LHFHG as it is not American history, and you've just done that for a bit. With LHFHG, I think it might fit him better, but you'd want to finish it in a year or so, so he could then move on to Beyond, and you do have a new precious little babe in the mix. O.k., I was on the fence at the beginning of my post, and now I think I've hopped over to the LHFHG side. :D I just keep thinking your ds would probably really flourish with LHFHG, have more time to get his reading/writing going before doing Beyond, and Beyond may be hard for him at first. I think I'd lean toward doing LHFHG and really continuing to hit phonics hard, have him do his first grade math (do you have the Beyond manual? if so, you could do the hands-on math with him for that? if not the 1A/1B schedule is in the Appendix), and have him continue to work on his handwriting. I just think having those LA skills more in place will only help him be more fully able to enjoy Beyond the following year. However, I do truly believe you will know best here, and I do think your half-speed plan made sense as well. I hope something here helps - give that baby a HOD kiss on the cheek from me - hope you are doing well! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for your input Julie! And baby got a big ol' HOD kiss on his cute, chubby little cheek.

I'll sleep and pray on it. Thanks!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling