Writing in CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

Writing in CTC

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 am

Can you please describe some of the writing assignments from CTC. I'll be starting it a bit later in the year and I want to know what to expect for my not into writing guy. Thank you.

Alison

eazbnsmom

Re: Writing in CTC

Post by eazbnsmom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 am

Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Alison,

There is a link under the description of Write with the Best on our website that allows you to see inside it. Link found here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for ... e-the-best

Also, within Creation to Christ there is daily copywork (once weekly for poetry, once-twice weekly for Bible, once weekly for science notebooking, once weekly in a common place book-style entry, and sometimes once weekly in the Independent History Study box), some writing for grammar instruction (twice weekly), writing for Drawn into the Heart of Reading (3 times a week), writing for dictation (3 times a week), writing within science on the notebooking day, experiment day, and questions day (each once a week), writing a written narration (once weekly within the history box), and occasional writing for Geography of the Bible Lands (at the end of each section/unit).

We've worked to balance the writing so it doesn't get to be writing heavy on any given day. My boys haven't found it to be too much! We pray it will fit you as well. :D Plus, it will be good preparation for the higher level of writing that will be required within RTR! :D

Blessings,
Carriefor

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Thank you.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am

Alison - I just wanted to pop in here and say that I wasn't sure how my ds would do with "Write with the Best", as writing creatively has never been his thing. BUT, he really has risen to the challenge and written pieces I'm so pleased with. I especially like the pieces of excellent, timeless literature we read to set the stage for a writing assignment, as it sets the bar high. I think there is just the right amount of studying that piece prior to beginning their own writing. The steps for the writing assignments in "Write with the Best" along with the final editing/how to sheets make it virtually impossible to turn out poor writing. I've really noticed my ds's confidence and joy in writing increase this year, and even his written narrations have really taken off - I think due to the combination of guided written narration provided in HOD and the models of excellent writing in "Write with the Best" (and all of the narrative books chosen for HOD's cores). :D Anyway, I was a mom that was worried about how my ds would learn to write well creatively, and now those worries are happily gone. Just thought I'd share. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank you Carrie and Julie.

I just thought of another question. Carrie, you mentioned daily copywork in CTC. At what point will copywork end? I'm trying to understand the benefits of copywork and why you would do it daily at this age. I was thinking that copywork early on was to help the student learn how to write well, to learn proper grammer and punctuation, and to pay attention to well written pieces of literature. I don't know where I got this from, but I was thinking that around 3rd or 4th grade the copywork would stop and formal grammar and writing woud take it's place. Maybe this was just a different philosophy that I had read a few years back, I'm not sure.

Alison

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

Alison,

You are right in the purposes of copywork! We are also working on cementing our cursive handwriting through copywork (which is a side benefit). :wink: For us, we see copywork as a life-long skill. Kiddos often have to copy notes from presentations and lectures in high school, in college, and also for sermons at church. We do add more formal writing studies along with copywork in our guidees, starting in Preparing Hearts on up. :D The frequency of copywork also begins to fade in RTR as other forms of writing move front and center (such as outlining, written narrations, more formal grammar instruction, and formal writing sessions). However, even Charlotte Mason advocated keeping a Common Place Book long into adulthood, which is a place to copy beautiful passages from literature, poetry, and God's word. So, we will likely retain some form of copywork in our guides as we move up. Great question! :D

Blessings,
Carrie