BOB books?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
frankesense

BOB books?

Post by frankesense » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 pm

I have seen many of you mention using BOB books for your beginning readers. I have never heard of them before and don't know about them. What are they? And where can you get them? Are they usually available at a local library?

Thank you! Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

moedertje

Re: BOB books?

Post by moedertje » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't know if they are available at all the libraries, but you can check with yours. You can find them at many internet book stores or your local book stores. I would recommend only getting set 1 and or 1-2. Most likely by the time they can do the last set, they will enjoy doing the emergent readers that Carrie has recommended in Beyond and Bigger much more. The stories are great and I love the fact that they get progressively more challenging. My son absolutely enjoyed doing the Emergent Readers and was so excited to get ready to read chapter books, we never even looked at set 3 of the Bob Books.
Bob Books by Bobby Lynn Maslen and John R. Maslen
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

shaffer96

Post by shaffer96 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Bob Books are great! They are simply a set of books that follow a phonics sequence. We have box 1 which includes short vowels and three letter words in simple sentences. The first book starts out with short a words, like Mat sat. My 4 year old loves them! They build confidence and give kids a great way to practice the phonics skills they are learning. I bought the first box at Barnes and Noble, but I have also seen them on Ebay and Amazon. Personally, I think they are worth the money!
DD 8 - BHFHG
DS 5 1/2 - LHFHG
DS 4 - Enjoying preschool toys and workbooks.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38 pm

We loved the BOB books as well. We only started them once they could really read them quite well though, and we started with the easiest box first and stuck with one book at a time until they felt like they read it very well. Then, we moved on to the next book. I believe we went through 4 sets, 2 in Set A and 2 in Set B. You can find them at almost any book store or online at Amazon. They are very inexpensive, and are fun books. They are black and white, which has been shown to be the best way to begin reading as the look of the book is simplified, uncluttered, and the words are easy to read as they are black on white. After finishing phonics and the BOB books, our dc absolutely LOVED HOD's Emerging Reader's Set, so that will be fun to move into eventually. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:59 pm

:!: :!: :D :D :!: :!: BOB BOOKS LOVE BOB BOOKS :!: :!: :D :D :!: :!:
Ok...that being said.... Bob books are wonderfully simple and short. They are just little books that introduce letter, letter sounds, then progresses into higher phonics. They do pair nicely with phonic lessons. I taught Kasey how to read using Bob books.
Recently I found My First BOB Books Alphabet Typhoon Tiffy and I are working with the first one, the AB book. It indrouces the letters A and B focusing on the short a vowel sound.
Like the other ladies said you can find them at B&N, or even Ebay.
Happy Hunting..
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

pamh

Post by pamh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Ooohhhhhhh, I completely forgot about BOB books. My 7 yr old used them in Kindergarten (his teacher didn't like Open Court and only preferred Bob books) and we absolutely loved them! I didn't realize that Bob had out ABC books, so I'll have to go get those. We bought our set of books (they come in a box) at Costco but Lakeshore Learning Store carries them as well (if that store is in your area). Thanks for the reminder about Bob books.

Blessings,
Pam

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Thank you ladies! Now that I knew what to look for, I did find that our library carries some of them. I'll be heading there this afternoon to check them out. I am looking for readers for my daughter. She is just finishing up phonics and is enjoying being able to read on her own but is getting sick of reading the same readers and Dr. Suess books over and over. She isn't quite ready to start HOD's emerging readers set. I think she'll be ready in a couple of months. I have all the books for the emerging readers set and used them last year with my son. In the meantime, we're gonna give the Bob books a try. Thanks again!
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography