More kudos for all the work put into these programs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

More kudos for all the work put into these programs

Post by annaz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I sat here and thought about this today. You can say that I'm a curriculum junkie, having the grass is greener mentality. :? But in the last 2 years, I keep coming back to HOD. I've bought some curriculum only to find out some is way off in the stated levels. So there it sits on the shelf. Then I feel guilty and try to use it. But I always come back.

So as I'm perusing through Bigger today (I've already bought Preparing, did Beyond (okay, part because of me being a junkie)) I've realized just how much work Carrie has put into these programs like no other. Other curriculum can give you the book and the schedule, omit a few readings, or plan a good home craft, but none have done it all. HOD does it all. I realize not everything works for everyone and whether it works for you or not, Carrie did not cheap out on it, nor tire of the scheduling in the manual or just grab a book of crafts and say do this craft on a certain page. There's a curriclum out there that if you look in the last few weeks of it, the boxes are almost empty. :shock: It's like they lost interest. They make you page back and forth. That was so blatantly lazy IMO. :( I could only wonder what else they got lazy on. There's another curriculum and while it's good as well, it's just a basic schedule for a huge quantity of money. It tells you to read a page and do the craft on the certain page. Anyone can get a book and do a craft in a book. Most of the time, not only do we not have those things book crafts require, but they're very odd and seriously time consuming; or they're too difficult for the age level.

Carrie on the other hand has bypassed all this, creating the projects and filling every box EVEN TO THE END :D so we don't have to flip back and forth. The projects are ones that we can do, because we have most of the supplies at home. The bible corresponds as opposed to throwing in a one-page, watered down bible verse and calling it a bible-based curriculum. HOD didn't cheap out or get lazy in any part of it's programs. So it's not that others are that bad, it's just so very clear all the time and effort that went into these HOD programs. Clearly these are well put together. It's obvious the thought and work it took to create this curriculum.

I just want to thank you for all the work you've put into these programs.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

lmercon

Re: More kudos for all the work put into these programs

Post by lmercon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm

I concur! I honestly feel bad for other home schooling moms who use other programs because I feel as though they are missing out on a blessed experience.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Shimmer

Post by Shimmer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Great post! I completely agree. It's amazing what the Spirit can do through a person and Carrie has done an amazing job for all of us to utilize. I love HOD!
2016-2017
dd1 - ResToRef
dd2 - Preparing
dd3 - Beyond
dd4 - LHTH

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I Know! I have researched a lot of curriculum, and I cannot find anything better than HOD. And I have spent hours :oops: looking at all the "best" homeschool stuff out there, but I keep coming back to HOD. Why? Simply because:

Noone else has the flexibility AND the structure that HOD does. No one has everything included and all wrapped up in a nice little 2 page spread. Noone looks out for our pocketbooks like HOD does. No one makes it so open and go like HOD does. No one gives me the confidence that I know that they are getting everything I need like HOD does. Noone includes activities that CAN be done that are just enough, but not too much. I have looked at so many curriculums, and they were either too heavy on activities and not on content, or they just gave you a reading schedule, and you had to come up with activities to enrich your topic. Noone has struck the balance like HOD has (that I can find). Noone does it like HOD! And I am not just saying that because this is the HOD board. This curriculum and all those whom God has used to write, edit, and produce it, are truly blessed by God with the wisdom and insight to see what so many of us need. WOW, thanks for starting this thread. I needed to tell someone that. Noone else around me has discovered HOD. :cry:

Thanks, Carrie, for working so hard to make this available to us.

In His love,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes, yes, yes! totally agree!!! :D
Dorla

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree totally!! I am also a reformed curriculum junkie. I loved curriculum researching so much I made a business out of it....I started private curriculum consulting. Then after finding HOD and realizing how awesome and wonderful (dare I say perfect? :lol: ) it is, I couldn't charge for private consulting!!! All I wanted to do was tell everyone to use HOD! LOL It really is just the best thing out there. I still look and research, but there's really nothing out there that pulls me in...and the few things that I want to "keep in mind for later", usually wind up in an HOD guide! :lol:
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am

As a reformed curriculum junkie (Thanks Carrie) I totally agree. I have tried MANY other programs. I was left wanting more. I didn't feel the bible was enough or the science wasn't enough. Another issue was they didn't reach mutiple learning styles. I have to admit when we started HOD I felt the need to supplement (add more b/c of past experiences) However I have learned that HOD is enough just the way it is (even for students who liked to be challenged). Now I have time for spanish and my kids have more time to be kids!!!!!

Thanks everyone at HOD for your time and efforts. They are very much appreciated. I have over 10 friends in town using HOD and we all LOVE it!!!!!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 am

I feel like I could have written any one of these posts. I too am guilty of the grass is greener syndrome. I've felt unsure as a new homeschooler and have tried many things because someone else was using them and I was afraid of not keeping up. Now I have come to enjoy the ease of use of HOD. I find I like having more than just a schedule, I love that each box has some notes or key idea to help me see the big picture or reason for each assignment. Thanks for a quality product!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I love this thread! HOD is all we have used and I have no idea how we came to discover it! It must have been God!
Reading people's posts on this board about how great each guide is makes me more anxious to progress in HOD!
You all (and HOD) are helping me NOT to become a curriculum junkie! :wink:

I am a former ps teacher if I had to write my own curriculum it would be just like HOD.
Thankfully the Austin Family has done all of the hard work and we get to reap the blessing!
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:34 am

Annaz - thank you for this post! :D :D :D I agree with all that you said whole-heartedly. You ladies are so encouraging. You would not believe the hours Carrie puts into HOD. It is unparalleled. She is a born researcher, and also an excellent teacher. I thank the Lord that He laid it on her heart (as well as on her dh's heart) to create HOD. She reads piles and piles and piles of books from cover to cover, just to make one book selection. It is a blessing she has always loved to read, because she sure reads a lot these days. :wink: She has her hands so full right now with homeschooling, writing, and researching, but I know when she gets the chance to read this post it will bless her heart incredibly. We have both been praying each day for the Lord to lift up a band of Christian women to strongly vocally support HOD - whether that's through conversations, boards, emails, or groups. You all are an answer to prayer. Thanks so much, and I too am one happy mom to be using HOD in our home! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:23 pm

annaz,

This thread blessed my heart beyond measure today! :D We are uplifted and encouraged more than you'll know by posts such as these, as we continually pray the Lord will bring those to HOD who will be blessed by it. He knows each of our needs. As we're in our busy schooling and writing season we know He is with us and with you. :D

I sincerely appreciate the time it takes for each of you to be an encouragement to me too. :wink: We love to visit with moms like you who are taking this journey with us. We pray the Lord will continue to bless your homeschooling efforts. :D

Blessings,
Carrie