1st grade completed cursive

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pamh

1st grade completed cursive

Post by pamh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:01 pm

I've got a quick question in regards to cursive. My 7 yr old just completed Abekas 1st grade cursive program and has mastered the letter formation. We're getting ready to purchase all of our HOD curriculum for next year and I was wondering if we'll still need a cursive program? If not, do I just have him write all of his assignments in cursive or what that be too much? He's struggling with shortening the length of his cursive writing but that is his only struggle with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! My son is really excited about completely foucsing on HOD next year and is even more excited about the science projects (he said he'd teach my science since he knows I struggle with it...too cute but it's true).

Carrie, I'm very thankful for you and this curriculum.

Pam

MistyP

Re: 1st grade completed cursive

Post by MistyP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:21 pm

I realize we are a year behind you but this is what I did this year......

My DD 6 yo did Abeka Cursive for K and has very nice handwriting. I wanted to strengthen it so I bought the Abeka 1st grade Cursive book and had her do a page twice a week. She still struggles with seeing something in print and the writing it in cursive at times so I let her do the writing assignments in print or cursive, just as long as it is neat and her best! I am not sure if we will continue with doing handwriting bookwork next year or not. I may just have her finish up some pages in the book she is currently working in or I have considered just having a cursive letter chart handy for her to refer to with doing her writing assignments.

I did buy the Cheerful Cursive book and love it but some of the work was definitely more on the 2nd grade level so I just ordered the Abeka handwriting and shelved the Cheerful cursive for now.
Misty
Mommy to 6!

pamh

Post by pamh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks Misty! We really enjoyed Abekas 1st grade cursive. I no longer allow my son to print and his cursive is beautiful. The nice thing is he can now read our mail that is in cursive which makes him proud of himself. Did you find cheerful cursive different than Abekas program?

Pam

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Cheerful cursive teaches the basic of cursive in a fun way and does not have all the extra "curlies" on the letters. It has the students copy from print to cursive and also shows different ways that a cursive letter can look. It did not have as much copywork as Abeka does. If your son is already writing well with cursive I would not recommend buying Cheerful Cursive.

I would probably just go with having him do his copywork in cursive next year and as he goes along he will get better at it!

That is really cute about him teaching science! A fun age =)
Misty
Mommy to 6!

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:24 pm

My ds 2nd grade was over half way through with abeka cursive when I discovered he couldn't read it. His cursive wasn't that great either. Granted writing isn't his thing but his older brother has great cursive (abeka cursive from the age of 4) I wasn't comparing the two just knew abeka worked. I was not thrilled when I realized my ds couldn't read cursive. I talked to my friend and husband. We decided to order Cheerful Cursive. I am very glad we did. It has been two weeks. My ds cursive is beautiful and he knows the letters in cursive. He can read the words in cursive!!!! I am very happy with Cheerful cursive. I love the short lessons on each page. That was exactly what my son needed. The activities at the bottom of the page enforce what he is learning. At the bottom they have to find the letter in a bible verse written in cursive, another activity is he has to read the cursive word and write it in print. Great practicie. We love it! Once again a great recommendation by Carrie!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 am

Well, the ladies have given you some good things to ponder here. We have really enjoyed "Cheerful Cursive" for many of the reasons Michelle mentioned. You will know what fits your goals the best though. Here is a sample of Cheerful Cursive:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4180&p=30768#p30768

You could probably have your ds clip through Cheerful Cursive at a quick pace, just to cement some of those skills like being able to read cursive well. Or, you could just continue with Abeka cursive.

As far as the cursive in HOD's plans, "Cheerful Cursive" is scheduled in Bigger Hearts. The rest of the writing for Bigger Heart's assignments is typically done in manuscript. In PHFHG, it is noted in the plans when things should be written in cursive (usually the copywork of things), and it is assumed the rest of the things are done in what the child personally prefers - either manuscript or cursive. This encourages dc to keep up both their manuscript and cursive, but allows them to choose which they prefer so their effort for the rest of the assignments can go into the assignment as a whole, rather than in the writing method of the assignment. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie