Instructional Level for Dicatation?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sted

Instructional Level for Dicatation?

Post by sted » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm

How do I determine if dictation is too easy for my daughters? We've gone through the Spelling lists in Bigger and are halfway through the dication lists but they seem to get them all right on the first try? How many mistakes should they be making to make it instructional for them?

Thanks,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

Tansy

Re: Instructional Level for Dicatation?

Post by Tansy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Good question... I'm looking forward to the answer... My dd always made grammatical errors so...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Dictation can be taught many different ways, so my first thought is to double-check the way it's described to be done in the HOD Appendix. I say this only because of the numerous times dictation has been turned into memory work, copywork, or some other form of work that is not truly dictation, and I say it more for anyone else whom may be reading this post that is new to HOD than for you, Shannon, as I know you've used HOD before and are familiar with the manuals. With that being said, I think missing 0-2 passages a week fits nicely within the range of acceptable dictation levels, though I'd say missing 2 every week probably means it's bordering on being too difficult. We are in Level 4 right now, and believe me, it gets HARD. I wouldn't rush to it. However, for your oldest child, you could move her to the middle/end of the level you are in, or possibly to the next level if you want to if you think she'd still be able to do well with it. Here are some dictation samples, in case that may be of benefit to you:

Dictation Samples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221
CTC Level 5 Dictation Sample:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5068&p=37153#p37153

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Shannon,

You've already had your questions answered well, but I'll just link you to another thread (which also contains some additonal links to threads) that may be of help to you too. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5436

Blessings,
Carrie