Some news and some questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Some news and some questions

Post by inHistiming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 pm

I had to come here to share our recent news...we are expecting baby #5 in October. Though I welcome the blessing of another baby, and I'm excited, I do have a few concerns. Our 'baby' just turned a year old on March 1, so of course she's crawling and cruising everywhere, though not yet walking on her own. I have 3 other children besides her but I've never been pregnant while chasing around a baby so young....and I am exhausted! Any tips for getting in all the schooling, dealing with the baby, and squeezing in some rest for Mom? I think we've decided to save our move until after the birth so that will be late fall, possibly even the beginning of 2011. Good news for me, but it will mean a commute for my husband. Also, does anyone have some suggestions for a healthy diet? I know how to eat healthfully, but since I had Gestational Diabetes last time I know I'm much more likely to develop that during this pregnancy, so I'm really just looking for a good, healthy eating plan. Names of books that were helpful or web sites are welcome. One more thing, I know there have been suggestions here for things to do with toddlers during school time....there was a web site, can anyone remember the name? It had lots of great ideas and printables, and I think some ideas for 'preschool in a bag', or something like that. I know she's very young yet, but I'm just thinking I need to get a head start on things for the littlest one, so it will be ready when she gets there. I know this may seem disjointed and jumbled, confusing...hopefully you all can understand what I'm saying. :oops: :? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!

Kathleen

Re: Some news and some questions

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Congratulations, Wendy! :D How exciting!! :D

I know I was incredibly thankful for the routine we had going when I hit the 1st trimester "morning" sickness & exhaustion! We cruised through the morning like normal and I was ready for a HUGE nap in the afternoon. My house most definitely looked like that was what I did...but I was accomplishing school at least. :roll: I think I'd preserve Emma's nap time as YOUR all-important nap time. And, if you're not following a schedule that lets you take a nap then, I'd rearrange and set it that way for a while. :wink:

I can't help you with the preschool idea website, but you're so right that you're hitting a challenging time with keeping the 1 yo safe and happy while still being able to accomplish what you need to with the others. Hopefully it's easier in that you can use your older 3 to help with Emma...I'm counting on that with my older ones when our new little one arrives and gets older.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, they do help with Emma...and it's a HUGE blessing! I am able to get dinner ready (usually) without too much fussing on her part. Her nap time tends to be when we get our schooling done....so, I may need to switch some things. Right now she still takes 2 naps, so maybe I could try to rest during her afternoon nap...I guess I need to set up a schedule of sorts. I tried that and it always throws me for a loop...what do we do with our 'schedule' when we have to leave the house for part of the day? So then we end up not having a schedule at all... :roll: I'm trying to focus more on accomplishing what I feel God wants me to accomplish each day instead of so much on "I have to check off these boxes", KWIM? When I do that our days go much better, less stress, and a more peaceful household. :wink:

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Congrats on the new baby! I'm trying to type and nurse my new one :D , so I'll just give you that link for the preschool bags. http://www.activitybags.com/
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Congrats!
I too would look to set up more of a schedule that allows for a nap.
Here are 2 websites that have ideas for young ones:
http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/index.html
http://totallytots.blogspot.com/
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Yikes, I don't know.

We have a 13, 10, 9, 6, 4, 2, and 6 month. I carry the 6 month old. She does not like for me to sit her down.
At the end of the day I wonder how we actually accomplished anything. :mrgreen:

Also, I say use the crock pot a lot. You can cook a lot of healthy meals in a crock pot.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

shaffer96

Post by shaffer96 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry, I have no advice for you, but this discussion interests me! This Fall when we start homeschooling I will have a 5 year old, a 21/2 year old with some sensory issues and a 1 year old. I am nervous about it and I have no idea how to entertain my two boys while doing Kindergarten with my daughter. I know the 21/2 year old will be able to do some things with us, but not everything. He is so active too! I plan on doing some while they nap in the afternoon, but I am curious to see how other Moms handle this with multiple kids that are all young! I want to make sure my daughter gets a good education, but I also need to make sure my boys get ample attention.

Congrats on your new baby on the way! What a blessing! Let us know what works for you! I think many of us are dealing with the same thing. I can't imagine juggling 5 kids with homeschooling, but God will guide you and bless you I am sure!
Laura
DD 8 - BHFHG
DS 5 1/2 - LHFHG
DS 4 - Enjoying preschool toys and workbooks.

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Congratulations!! :D I will be praying that you will find ways to make this time not only work, but be a joy for you & your family!
Being that my children are so close in age- while I was pregnant, there was also a toddler running around :shock: :D . It is so very exhausting, but if I could get in a good nap in the afternoon, it helped sooo much- hopefully it will help you too! I understand what you mean about a schedule- I think it is so important that we are asking God to guide us through the day... with that in mind, I try to really pray over my "schedule/routine" & allow Him to help me plan what is best & most glorifying to Him throughout the day... but I have to keep in mind that He often changes my plans (therefore, we have a "flexible schedule"- a basic routine that we follow every day, but that can change based on what is really happening that day). :wink: I am praying that God will give you strength & joy through these days! What an exciting time! :D
Jessica

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Inhistiming - Congratulations! I'm so glad you've been able to postpone the move. I think you are wise to plan ahead, and I agree with the nap for you. We started that with my 3rd. pregnancy, and we've reinstated the "nap/quiet time" for an hour every afternoon. When I was pregnant and also after having a newborn, I needed to nap (also discovered my thyroid quit working). Anyway, whatever you do, I'd definitely do the nap and quiet time in rooms only doing something totally quiet (our older dc need to either read a book, do a book on tape, or do handicrafts that can be done in their room, and they must be alone).

Here are some great past threads on what to do with the toddlers:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198&p=33557
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4987&p=36744#p36744

As far as eating healthy, it helped me to try to fill half of my plate with fruits and veggies, then a 1/4 for meat/protein, and a 1/4 for grains. Yogurt with granola or with fresh fruit for breakfast, or oatmeal were healthy ways to start the day (when I wasn't sick :wink: ). Snacking on nuts (especially almonds) and eating small squares of cheese, as well being sure to drink enough milk - all helped me be healthier. Enough water (as you know) is very important too, so I just tried to drink a glass before each meal. Blueberries are wonderful if you can work them in. :wink: Those are just a few ideas.

I do think a schedule will be pretty important, but one thing I've come to realize is that a schedule is more needed for the little ones than the older ones. The older ones just need a routine. We've found it works great to have blocks of time where "x" number of boxes need to be completed, and that the exact times are not nearly as important as maintaining the same order. The schedule is more of a beginning of the school year thing at our house, and the routine is what works the whole rest of the year. I just posted about the blocks I'm using for Riley's BHFHG on the weekly check-in here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5758

Wyatt, my oldest doing CTC, also uses blocks of time. I tried to explain that on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5244

We really like using blocks of time as it's easier to just finish a block, run to an appointment if we have to, and then finish the other blocks. There are more stopping points. Also, it feels like the day is routine because the blocks are routine, even if things aren't happening at exactly the same time each day. Right now we are finishing anywhere between 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM. Each day feels pretty much the same though, due to the routine. I don't know if this idea appeals to you at all, but if it does, you may want to consider roughing out some blocks of time and just giving your kiddos a paper that says the order they should go in. You can also alternate your olders playing with your youngers, which has been a huge help here. I won't pretend to understand the differences between my family of only 5 people with a larger family's needs, but these things have helped me so much, and could perhaps help you too.

One other thing that's super important to get a handle on is the chores (IMO) :wink: . I just have to say that finally getting a handle on this has given me my sanity. Each of our dc has the same chores they do all year. Our middle ds has the same chores every day, but our older ds has rotating chores. I have charts for them to check off on the fridge. They get up at 7:15 AM and need to have done their room check, body check (which is brushing teeth, clean clothes on, etc.), chore chart, and have breakfast done by 8:15 AM. It works great! As it turned out, they disliked ME telling them what to do every morning as much as I disliked telling them. :lol: The chore charts are an easy way to cut out that dialogue. I actually am exercising now in the mornings, showering, and then just checking their charts to see if things are checked off. They are so cheerful about their work, and they remind each other to finish.

I hope something here can help. You've already gotten such sage advice. Most importantly though - pray, pray, pray! The Lord will provide all your needs. Congratulations!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Congratulations! :D

And don't worry; by the time your baby comes along, your toddler will be several months older and will be easier to entertain. My 18 month old will sit in her highchair coloring the entire time we are doing school if I let her. (I do get her out after about an hour so she can go take her nap, though she protests because she wants to keep coloring!). When my 3 year old was a toddler, he loved going into his room and playing with his trains. So, at that age you can usually figure out their favorite activities and take advantage of those during school time.

Most of all, be flexible and allow yourself plenty of time to get into your new routine.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

Ladies, thanks so much for the encouragement and suggestions...and the congratulations. ;) I really am excited!

And Sharon, looks like you deserve some congratulations as well! Seems we'll be in similar situations in the fall.... :D

busymama

Post by busymama » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Congratulations! This is wonderful news, and I pray all will go well with you and your little one. I just have one bit of advice for you. WATER!!! As a diabetic who had gestational diabetes in my pregnancies too, I can honestly say that drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day has helped my A1C level tremendously. (That is what most dieticians recommend, you can check with one to see what's best for you.)
Sounds like a lot I know, and some days I don't get it all in but I carry around a water bottle with me all day & try to. It keeps your sugar levels under control, helps your kidneys, and just all around makes you feel so much better when you're getting the proper amount. So if you can stay away from sugary drinks that will really make a difference, and you have to even watch diet pop, because in 25% of all diabetics the sugar substitute raises your sugar level just like sugar does. (Per my endocrinologist.) I'm one of the 25% so I just cut out pop altogether. :( But I'm learning every day!
For that matter, this could be helpful for all of us hardworking mamas. We all need to remember to drink our water like we should. Then you're teaching your children by example as well. :wink:
Hope this helps. God bless!
Thanks for letting me post here, I know this is a bit off topic from the usual school stuff.
busymama from OH
married for 10 years to dh
ds 8, doing PHFHG, DITHOR, R&S Eng. 3, Sing.4A&B, HWOT, Apologia Zoo 1, BTS 1, The Learnables Sp.1, piano,blessing our lives daily
1 surprise blessing due 6/11
4 angels in heaven waiting with Jesus

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:59 am

Congrat's on your new baby on the way! :D

Others' have lot's of great advice for you. I would really up your protein intake and cut out all processed and refined carbs if possible. Eat lot's of healthy grains but mostly fruits & veggies. Also, try avoiding white flours etc... The more whole foods you can eat, the better it will be for you and baby.
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)