Using a Globe and What Kind

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Using a Globe and What Kind

Post by psreit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

I was wondering if having a globe is essential to BLHFHG. Maybe there is something in the guide, but I haven't really read through it, yet. I also wanted to know, if you use a globe, where is the best place to get one and what model would be best for a younger child? It's nice to find out what works for others.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

inHistiming

Re: Using a Globe and What Kind

Post by inHistiming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 pm

We do not use a globe as we have a great set of wall maps that we got at BJ's a few years ago. However, I just saw some at Barnes and Noble over the weekend and noticed the price was about $30. It was in color and seemed nice. I personally prefer the maps because they're right on the wall and aren't cluttering a counter or shelf, but if you have a good place to put a globe it may be a better choice. I don't have my BLHFHG guide handy but I believe there is geography once a week, and you'll need a map or globe so you can find the place your learning about. I'm sure someone else will be along with a more definitive answer. :?

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm

We picked up a globe last summer at Target for about $20-25. (you might find one cheaper online)
We've used it many times this year with BLHFHG. It's not essential for the geography lessons but I was glad to have it and the kids spent lots of free time looking at it.
A ball or balloon could work just as well as an "earth substitute" :wink:
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Thank you. I probably will get one, not that I have a lot of space, but I think dd would benefit from a globe versus a wall map. I will use both, but to really process how the earth looks, she probably will need that. The land features and water will be beneficial as opposed to a balloon or ball. We've taken trips out of state and I have introduced her to the US map. She probably will be fascinated with a globe. I had a globe years ago for our older kids. When they understood geography, they liked to take the globe and spin it with their eyes closed and a finger on the globe. Where the finger was touching when it stopped, they pretended they were going to that place. Our two oldest love to travel, as well as myself. So, geography can be a lot of fun. I look forward to enjoying this part of HOD with dd.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:24 pm

I was just on beachballworld.com. They have inflatable globes in different sizes. That wouldn't take up space and dd would love playing with that. I saw they even have one to label. Does anyone use an inflatable globe?
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

I got an inflatable one for about $6 at a teacher supply store. Works well for our lessons and kids love playing with it...they learn more from it quite casually that way!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 pm

We picked one up at Target last year, also. i remember if being only $15. i don't even think it was a sale. it is on a blue plastic stand and the world is all in color. my kids and i both love it . Just have to calm them down sometimes because they would just love to keep spinning it. My 6yrold picks it up all the time to ask me where stuff is. We used it just last week when we were studying explorers, like Columbus, Ponce de Leon... We looked to see where they had traveled from and where they went. That was in LHFHG Unit 21.

Praying you find one that works for your family

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I have an inflatable one. I also got it at a teacher's supply store for $5 or $6. We don't really need it for anything in LHFHG yet, but DS loves playing with it. My parents travel alot so he likes to follow along on the globe and see where Grandma and Gramps are going on their trips.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

annaz

Post by annaz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 pm

I think I got my globe at Walmart or something, but I don't use it much, 'cause Mom can't see it. :oops: I never can find those darn glasses. :lol: I'd rather have a large globe, one I can read! Globes are actually better for showing the relationship between where we live and where we're discussing. As I kid, after seeing the flat map, I always wondered what was on the "other side" of the world. I was probably dumber than most kids, :oops: but I couldn't get the context of the locations. I figured the entire flat map was on "our" side and there was this entire land mass I didn't know about and why isn't anyone telling me? :wink:

Yes it's true, "I" am teaching my child. :oops: Scary thought.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I like a globe that we got from Timberdoodle. It is cloth and you can put it in the washing machine.
http://www.timberdoodle.com/Hugg_A_Plan ... 79-229.htm
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm

That cloth one does sound like a neat idea, too. I think until dd is older, the beach ball or the cloth one would be sufficient. Thanks for the ideas.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 pm

We've had an inflatable globe (kids played with it instead of using it as a globe) and a wall map --which I liked a lot but everytime we wanted to look at something we 'd all have to get up and go over to the wall. I finally found a very nice globe on a stand at a thrift store and bought it and we love it. It has given my kids a much better perspective of how the world fits together (like how close Alaska and Russia are). The globe we have also has much more detail (rivers, cities, even raised areas for mountains) then any of our wall maps.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:06 am

I picked up my globe for $1 at a yard sale. It was a newer, full size one and up to date.

If you don't need it immediately you could keep an eye out this summer or even look at places like Salvation Army and Goodwill.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:06 pm

All of these globes sound good! We got one at Barnes and Noble, and then it sadly was used SO much that after one too many drops, the stand broke. The next one I got was at Walmart, and I actually liked that one better as it was more colorful and easier to read. It was cheaper too. Whatever kind you end up with, having one is nice, and I think Annaz made a good point about it being important to see where locations are in relation to one another as far as being around the other side of the world or not. :D You'll use it with virtually every HOD guide anyway, so it's worth the purchase over time. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie