How long of a break do you take post-newborn? :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Catherine

How long of a break do you take post-newborn? :)

Post by Catherine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm due with my third little one on August 16th... right before I was intending to start our school year!! :) I was wondering if you think it's realistic to begin in September or if I should wait a bit longer. I would be starting LHFHG with my oldest daughter... entertaining our then 2 yr old daughter... and probably nursing the baby in a sling. LOL!

I have some flexibility as far as timing goes. My oldest daughter will be 4.5 at that time so I could wait if I needed to. We're just SO excited to start! We look through the LHFHG books everyday and we really thrive better on structure and having something to do each day. I also like the idea of sticking to a traditional school year with summers off.

So ...how long of a break do you usually take after having a baby?

Thanks ladies!
Catherine :)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

Mom2Monkeys

Re: How long of a break do you take post-newborn? :)

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:09 pm

I took about 2.5 months. My new one is now 3.5 months! I think getting a few weeks done prior to baby might be a stress reliever for you. You won't feel the need to jump right in. My goal was to get at least 2 days in per week through the summer and as baby time got closer, I wanted to get 3-4 days per week. That way I'd have some done already and have more relaxing time off. It didn't happen though! I got sick, tired, bedrest, heart issues, early delivery...yada yada yada. LOL So we didn't even really start our school year until February! It's all fine though. The kids kept reading, watching educational DVD's, and doing real life stuff...they learned so much anyway! Take whatever time you need. The world won't end if you don't start and finish at a certain time!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:32 pm

I take two weeks, but there are 8 of them and 1 of me. Structure is a necessity! If my oldest was only 4.5 I would just take the time I thought I needed. If you start slow it might provide the structure you need without overwhelming you.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Well, my baby is 12 days old, and I desperately needed to start finding a new "normal" routine around here... so we resumed at a snail's pace a few days ago, completing a box or two as the opportunity arose (in between nursing and "resting" :lol: ) I give praise to God that He led me to HOD before the baby was born, so we can have some familiar structure once again. I have no goals for how long it takes us to get back to full-speed :lol: Thanks to Carrie for helping to make homeschooling a joy, even on 4-ish hours of sleep!
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

oneofeach

Post by oneofeach » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Our baby was born 2/2/10 and we took the entire month of February off. I figured if I was teaching or working outside of the home noone would think twice about taking 6 weeks off. But I have to say - things have really been great this week. I think we needed the structure and safety of our routine. :D

Congrats on the new baby!

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm

I think it depends on the family. As another poster said, with your eldest 4.5, I'd be comfortable just easing into things naturally, adding one thing at a time as your new family finds it's rhythm. :) Enjoy watching your kids interact, knowing that if your oldest was doing public school she'd be missing the experience of welcoming a new sibling.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 pm

For our family, we needed to find a balance between getting enough rest, taking care of our family, & finding structure in doing school. My youngest daughter was born at the very beginning of this school-year- right when I would've wanted to start... so, I was not really sure what to do either. Once baby was here, I realized that I really needed some structured, purposeful, fun time with my oldest children- & LHTH provided that for us. :D It was short & sweet, & I was so very thankful for the time I got to spend with my children (even while I was healing from a c-section, nursing, etc. :wink: ). LHFHG could provide that for you also- maybe you could go half-speed so it would only take you 30-45 minutes each day. :wink: :D I will be excited to hear how everything goes for you- praying for a happy, healthy pregnancy & delivery!

Congratulations krismoose & oneofeach!! :D

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 am

Thanks ladies! I like the idea of going half-speed until we're ready for more. I suppose we'll just have to take it one day at a time. :) I'm soooooo excited to start!!
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 am

I'm not really planning to take much of a break. Just a week or two initially, and then for the next week or two I just plan to take things at a more gradual pace. We are only doing LHFHG right now, so it does not take a lot of time and all the girls love it!! :D It will be a great way to still connect with them and let them still continue somewhat in the same old routine. I have found that USUALLY (not all cases) newborns are very easy going and you can just go about life as normal. They are actually more challenging as they approach the toddler years! ;-)
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 pm

When my last baby was born, I took off 2.5 weeks (a week before she was born, and then a week and a half after). I was planning on taking longer, but we really needed to stop watching so much TV! We did just the 3R's for a few weeks and gradually added back in other subjects.

This time my baby is due early November, so because of Thanksgiving, I won't hesitate to just take the whole month of Nov off! Or, we might start back up half-speed a week or two after the baby is born. I'm planning on it taking us until January to get back up to full-speed because I know December will be busy too. If we are able to accomplish more than that, that's fine, but I don't want to stress about it.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I found out that I haven't needed to stop my routine right away... But a little later on! So I take from my due date (I tend to go late) and then about a week after the baby is born and then get as much done while the baby is sleeping all the time as I can... then, when the baby is more alert and wanting attention more (5-6 months?) I'll take a little time off here and there...