Grammar for High School

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Grammar for High School

Post by Marsha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 am

Has anyone ever use Thinking Through Grammar by Arthur Whimbey?
Here is a link to them...http://www.bgfperformance.com/
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

8arrows

Re: Grammar for High School

Post by 8arrows » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I am not familiar with the one you posted, but we are looking at CLE grammar for high school next year. Since they separate their light units, you can buy just the three (9 wks) that cover grammar. We already have IEW for writing. I will check out you link though.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Grammar for High School

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Marsha,

We took a good, hard look at this one for our own son for high school grammar. I purchased, and own, the freshman and junior levels. I really like the concept of its design, the overall coverage, and the short lessons, and it is in a workbook format (which is a nice feature as well). However, upon much closer reflection the sentences used within the lessons have a very public school flavor. There is much talk about sporting events, dating, parties, prom, dances, boyfriend/girlfriends, t.v. shows, movies, weight loss/dieting, politics, classroom situations, and references to books that we will not be having our kiddos read etc. On that basis alone, we were not comfortable using it with our own children. :D

After looking at almost every grammar option out there, we have finally decided that continuing with Rod and Staff 7 and 8 (doing each at half-speed so that each level takes two years) is our family's best high school grammar option. The texts are God-honoring, have excellent explanations and stystematic coverage, include very helpful writing assignments and tips, and will continue to build upon the foundation within grammar that we've already laid through Rod and Staff in the younger years. The Rod and Staff handbook is excellent and will be a great tool for students throughout high school and college. :D

I honestly had to get past the '7' and the '8' on the books and realize that the Table of Contents of both of these books show content that far surpasses most high school grammar options out there. If asked, we can definitely just list the topic coverage from the Table of Contents to prove these books are high school credit worthy for language arts (when combined with literature study and writing coursework). :D

Since I had the books in hand, I thought I'd just share our reasoning. Your thinking may completely differ, and you will know better than me what suits your family's goals. :D

Blessings,
Carrie