Celebrating "graduating" Bigger Hearts!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

Celebrating "graduating" Bigger Hearts!

Post by Rebecca » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:59 pm

We have officially moved on into Preparing Hearts (today)- love it already...
Yesterday, my boys did their last history mapping assignment for Bigger Hearts and I took their picture with it, our globe, and our manual.
This morning, I presented them with a "certificate" for completing Bigger... and we had a decorated cake! 8) We started this litte tradition when my third son graduated from LHFHG into Beyond... it was a hit!

I asked my boys to give a recitation before cake eating. They had to give a "telling" from science and history and recite a favorite poem from the year. They both knew their poems by heart and did such a great job! I was not expecting a perfectly recited poem from memory- but that is what I got from both of them- I thought they would "read with expression" from the guide. My eight year old, in particular, brought tears to my eyes as he dramatically recited his favorite poem "The Railroad Cars are coming!" :D

I think, in the future, I might have them look through their binders and "tell" on several favorite assignments as that might give a little more direction. My oldest was so busy making sure he had his poem memorized- he forgot to focus on the facts he needed for the "telling."

Anyway- I wanted to share this happy tradition we have started. Todd (Dad) was there, too, as he starts a late shift on Fridays (thru tax season). It was great.

~Rebecca

RachelB

Re: Celebrating "graduating" Bigger Hearts!

Post by RachelB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 pm

What a special tradition Rebecca, thank you for sharing it with us! Congratulations to your boys for finishing Bigger!
Rachel

mommy to
Kailee - 12
Gracie - 8
Kaden - 7
Mollie - 3
Brynlee - 5 months

2 ^^ in heaven
happily married to Brian for 12 years

2014- 2015 - Using RevtoRev, Preparing, Beyond & maybe LHTH!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 pm

What a great idea, Rebecca! :D (We might just have to copy it... :wink: ) You and your boys are most definitely going to love Preparing. We're nearing the end and love it now just as much as ever!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:19 am

Congratulations to your boys (and you too!).
Thanks for sharing your great graduation idea!
Andrea
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 am

Rebecca,

How exciting! We are a little over half way through Bigger and can't wait to head on to Preparing like you. Thank you for sharing your wonderful graduation celebration with us. Special times :D .
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I love this idea, Rebecca! I'm wishing I could have been there :) . I always feel like we should do something at the end of a guide, but wasn't sure what to do. I am going to have to tuck this idea away in my memory bank - or better yet, print it off and keep it for reference (as I age my memory is aging as well :lol: ). Anyway, your dc are so blessed to have you for a mom. This is a wonderful way to celebrate all that's been learned and enjoyed with HOD through the year and you can bet your dc will remember those celebrations fondly! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Rebecca,

Thanks so much for sharing your memorable familly tradition that you've started for celebrating the end of a guide! :D What a wonderful idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for my own boys. They would love it! :D

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Bigger Hearts. We pray that you will enjoy Preparing Hearts just as much and that the skills your kiddos have practiced in Bigger will bear much fruit within Preparing Hearts! :D

Blessings,
Carrie