Questions about my "extension" child in the long run...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Benelli

Questions about my "extension" child in the long run...

Post by Benelli » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 pm

As I look through the HOD scope and sequence, I am absolutely thrilled that there is a plan through 9th grade! But, I have a couple of things wanted to know. My 2 oldest are currently 4th & 5th grade doing Preparing, with my 5th grade dd doing the extensions. We'll be moving into CTC next year for 5th and 6th, and we will continue through the guides with my dd always doing the extensions. When she hits The Modern Times, she will be a 9th grader. I'm sure it will have extensions, but will its extensions be enough all by themselves for high school credit? Or would I also have to add things myself as well. Will the Geology guide's extensions be enough for a 10th grade plan with nothing else added? I'm already a little stressed about homeschooling high school - and I really haven't looked into what is required. But, if the extensions are enough, that would mean I then only have to find something non-HOD for 11th and 12th. I know it's a long way off, but I just want to make sure I've got a basic idea for my plan, and it's been on my mind.

I guess I'm trying to make sure keeping her with her brother (who will actually do the guides in the oldest target age/grade without extensions) will end up being a good plan for her in the long run. I have younger kids in other guides and some of them will hit similar situations when they hit the final guide(s) as well.

Blessings,
Last edited by Benelli on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

basesloaded

Re: Questions about my "extension" child in the long run...

Post by basesloaded » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 am

I, too, would love to hear about "plans" in the above situation :D .
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I don't have an answer for you but I'm in the same boat. My oldest will do CtC next year for 6th grade. I plan to just continue through the four years at whatever pace he can handle. In high school, I will make sure he is getting science that includes a lab and that his writing assignments are appropriate for high school credit. To be honest, I'm really glad he will hit Modern History in 9th grade. I think his maturity will be a benefit because there are so many troubling and confusing issues that will need to be discussed for that time period.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Ladies,

I'm so glad that you are excited about our upcoming geography guide! We're excited about it too. :D

As you head into your child's high school years, we will be glad to give recommendations on any areas that may need additions in order to make your child's program high school worthy. We've already shared some thoughts about what most states are moving toward as far as requirements go for high school, and much of our advice will also depend on your family goals for your child's education and whether or not that child will be going on to higher education. :D

As far as the geography guide goes, it will likely work for credit for a 9th or 10th grader, as all states are not specific as to which year of high school that geography is required (but instead just require geography to be completed at some point during high school). We find it to work well as a pre-cursor to the study of history in high school, which is why we've placed it in the typical 9th grade year. :D

We will have our own highschooler as a senior by the time our geography guide is released, so we'll have traveled the path you'll be traveling too!

Blessings,
Carrie