Maybe this is a secret... ;-)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Maybe this is a secret... ;-)

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 am

I hope I'm not spoiling a surprise, or maybe I just missed the news, but have you seen the future plans on the scope&seq here? http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

There's another guide listed after the history cycle guides!!! :shock: Geography Through History with a Biology focus!!! If I'm just late to hear, someone fill me in on whatever details there are up to this point...please!?!?!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

momofgreatones

Re: Maybe this is a secret... ;-)

Post by momofgreatones » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 am

So exciting! HOD just keeps getting better and better! I love geography, so I am SO excited about this news.

Monique
Monique

dd 18 graduated!
dd 16 studying for CLEPs
dd 14 Studying for CLEPs
ds 12 CTC with extensions
ds 10 Bigger Hearts
dd 8 Bigger Hearts
dd 4 Little Hands to Heaven
dd 2 Little Hands to Heaven

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:19 pm

WOW! What a way to rock my world! I heard it was a possibility wow! Ok time to go back to the planning table and see how this will work! I am so excited they decided to take it further! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm

OK so I looked :cry: I can fit perfectly 5 of six kids but my oldest I just can't for doing the whole program. BUT... I am thinking she could listen in and do the activities in the geography part. Hoping that will work. :D Can't wait to see how that program is going to look. I guess I have a long time on that one. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Oh wow! What a great surprise!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:17 pm

So will that, in essence, be a high school level program? I see the age range is 13-15.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit my kids in to get as many HOD years as possible, and trying not to be sad that we didn't discover this from the beginning. But so, so happy to see the plan for another program :D
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:03 pm

threegreatkids wrote:So will that, in essence, be a high school level program? I see the age range is 13-15.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fit my kids in to get as many HOD years as possible, and trying not to be sad that we didn't discover this from the beginning. But so, so happy to see the plan for another program :D
I'm wondering the same thing. If it will be high school level/credit and what subjects will be covered (just history/geography and Biology or all the fixins like the other guides?? :wink: )

I just have to say that seeing this on the future guides list this morning made me very happy :D And the fact I think all my kids will hit this guide around 8th-9th grade is awesome!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 pm

I had seen Carrie say before that it was going to be 9th grade. I am assuming it is 9th grade level but wondering if there is an extension for 10th because of the age. :?:

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Yes! Carrie had posted about using this as a High School Program. It's an art approach to geography through history. Here's a link to one of the core books Carrie spoke about using: http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id151.html
I ONLY know about this as I have personally met Ellen and talked with her at length about different things she is doing. I am THRILLED to see this coming from HOD - just like you all are! I have used Ellen's stuff before and we just loved it. So, with Carrie adding her touch of organization and pulling other resources..... well...uh...I.... I'm too excited to know what to even say!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Oh Carrie,

Please say this is the 9th grade HS credit possibility you have hinted about? Say it's so. We love HOD so much we can't get enough. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We are praying for you as the Lord is helping you get out RTR, book fairing it, and as He directs your next steps. I know you must be busy, girl. But it is all so exciting!!!

Blessings,
Cindy
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:04 pm

This is amazing! Just this morning, I was thinking about high school and what we would do after HOD. I had decided that the thing I wanted after the four year cycle was a high school level geography course. I had thought about BJU but figured it wouldn't be CM enough for my tastes. I will be praying that the Lord blesses Carrie with abundant good health, contentment in her ministry to us, and lots of stamina!!
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm

That would be awesome if it's 9th grade level!!

My kids have sort of been on the young side for the guides so they'll probably get to it by 8th grade but either way I'm just thrilled to see Carrie put it on the website! :D
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow! That is incredibly exciting news!!! I can't wait to hear what Carrie has to say about it.

Brenda, I'm wondering what your plans are for your 7th grader doing CTC right now. My oldest will be a 7th grader doing CTC next year as well. How are you planning for high school with her? Are you going to use all the HOD guides with her or move her to something else at 9th grade? I can't figure out how to make it work and it truly breaks my heart for her not to be able to go through the whole 4 year cycle with HOD. I can't imagine anything being better, but I know they're not written for high school level credit. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

momofgreatones

Post by momofgreatones » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm not Brenda, but I'm using CTC with my 14 year old, and planning to use all the guides with her if I can as she gets older. It seems fairly straightforward to beef up CTC for her, and so I'm hoping that will be the case with the future guides also. I'm adding in more advanced literature, more writing, and upper level math, among other things. The quality and depth of the material in CTC is so rich that I'm more than satisfied with the content for my 9th grader.

I know other moms on here have similar age children doing this also. Hope you find some good information that helps!

Monique
Monique

dd 18 graduated!
dd 16 studying for CLEPs
dd 14 Studying for CLEPs
ds 12 CTC with extensions
ds 10 Bigger Hearts
dd 8 Bigger Hearts
dd 4 Little Hands to Heaven
dd 2 Little Hands to Heaven

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 am

Tiffini wrote: Brenda, I'm wondering what your plans are for your 7th grader doing CTC right now. My oldest will be a 7th grader doing CTC next year as well. How are you planning for high school with her? Are you going to use all the HOD guides with her or move her to something else at 9th grade? I can't figure out how to make it work and it truly breaks my heart for her not to be able to go through the whole 4 year cycle with HOD. I can't imagine anything being better, but I know they're not written for high school level credit. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I just worked all this out and I am pretty settled on it except we have two options at 10th grade. I will definitely be using HOD for 9th that is settled and she will be at the first American Hist program. And we are definitely doing the Geography part of the last program with her. We may be doing the last American history in 10th but we are not sure. She is really science oriented and now in her little 7th grade thoughts she is thinking doing advanced Chemistry and advanced physics would be really cool for 12th grade. So I have given her that option to have 12th grade free for that. We'll see. :wink: I do not want to hold her back but at the same time I am not sure that is reasonable for her. She will know by pth grade and if reality sets in that will have us doing HOD in 10th as well. My other kids will use all the way through HOD and that will have some of them doing HOD in 9th as well. Anyway I will pm you what I have worked out for highschool. :D